Saturday, July 13, 2013

Better Late Than Never: Man of Steel

 Hey everyone, you can call me TheCinemaChick and oh my goodness am I royally behind in my reviews. I've got five I need to work on, including “Despicable Me 2” and “The Lone Ranger”. So, lets start with the oldest and work our way to the newest. So, on my movie list, I see that “Man of Steel” is the first one I need to touch on. Oh yes, I have a lot to discuss with that one.

I'm not a huge Superman fan. I'm not really into DC in general. But I bought into the hype, thought this could be good and not much of a shock, it wasn't that good. Visually its beautiful, but overall, its just bland. The script was poor, the acting was subpar at best and honestly, Amy Adams was horribly miscast. Then there's Russell Crowe, but we will get to him in a bit. Trust me, I have a lot to say about him and how he was just unnecessary.

“Man of Steel” is a reboot of a reboot. We just had a Superman movie not to long ago with Brandon Routh so I'm not really sure why this one seemed like it was needed. Also, I don't like Zack Snyder. His style is so specific that he does not leave any room for change. It was to be a matte color, comic book style jumbled mess. Don't believe me? Go watch “Suckerpunch” then tell me I'm wrong. I know every director likes to put his mark on their film, but this is absurd. I would like to see him do something different, that doesn't automatically remind me of all his previous films. Most directors grow as their careers go on Mr. Snyder. You may want to consider that.

Now, the movie is incredibly disjointed. We start off on Krypton where he is born. Apparently, according to this film, babies are created. He is the first naturally born child in like...centuries. This opening scene last roughly fifteen minutes and it really did not explain anything other than this is how he got to Earth and why Zod hates him. Which really, General Zod doesn't hate Kal-El, he hates Jor-El, his father. Well, Zod gets punished for the murders by getting encapsulated in ice. Not to be a pervert or anything but those massive icicles look incredibly phallic. There is actually a lot of phallic imagery throughout but I'll let you be the judge of that.

The film on most levels falls flat. Clark Kent basically has no flaws throughout the entire film. He saves men, he fixes things, he's just perfect. The only time he really has a problem is when his powers first show up and he basically has a nervous breakdown in class. Other than that, he's a deus ex machina (God machine...it's a literary thing). The best scenes were the ones where Clark had to interact with his parents Diane Lane and Kevin Costner. It is in these moments where he is most human and most relate-able. Beyond that, he's too perfect.

And then there's Russell Crowe. The man dies not even ten minutes into the film but he keeps coming back. Apparently he has downloaded himself into a spaceship. What? Is he River Song now? I just don't get it. Is this movie lacking so much star power that we have to have him pop up everywhere. The worst part? He takes away all the guess work. Like, towards the end when Superman and Lois are trying to escape a ship, there's Crowe to guide them every step of the way. Ok, honestly, why? Is Superman that incompetent?

And its not that this movie was bad. It just wasn't good. It had a lot of hype, a ton of promotion and it just didn't impress me. The characters are somehow stupider, everyone just stands around like morons and at the end, I just didn't care about anyone. Clark lets his father die at one point just so he won't scare people. Dude, you are Superman! Save your dad!

I'll admit, I don't care for Henry Cavill, but he did a decent job at least looking like he was properly cast. It was when he opened his mouth that I had issues. The dialogue was just lame. The jokes aren't funny and it almost turns into an after school special at points. I understand Superman has a sense of right and wrong, but come on! Zod is destroying the planet and you take issue with killing him? How many people has he killed with all his destruction? Oh yes, not to mention, he's sort of the reason your family is dead and he wants to kill you too. Superman, grow a spine and save the planet, like you are supposed to!

I wanted to like this. I hoped “Man of Steel” would surpass my expectations and it barely touched them. I miss the older movies from this franchise, the ones that were a bit more family friendly, less boring and had more action. Sure, the Christopher Reeve films seem a bit cheesy now but they are still superior to this one. That's a huge problem with this one. It tries to get way too serious and way too deep when it really shouldn't. Yes, I get it, Clark Kent is an alien who has lost his home world, his parents, borderline everything, but he has family on Earth. If you think about it, he's got it pretty good. Friends, family, super powers, a job...what does he have to be so emo about?

I know this one has been out for a while, so check it out in the dollar theater. Skip the 3D and save yourself the money. It wasn't impressive, it was boring at times and Superman needed to suck it up. Also, this is a bit...wrong...but I think Superman SHOULD have the red trunks on the outside. It is iconic! In this one...I was very uncomfortable when they used certain angles. It goes back to the phallic thing. They would use angles that sort of emphasized the costume being different and in the process, there's his crotch. Well, if you didn't know beforehand, this movie will reinforce that he is indeed male.

Do yourself a favor and wait. I still don't like Zack Snyder or his style.


I'm TheCinemaChick and I'm still horribly behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment