Tuesday, May 27, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past

 Hello everyone, I'm the only and only girl who manages to spill a mixed berry smoothie on her shirt before beginning a review but you can call me TheCinemaChick. I watch a lot of movies and spend too much time at the theater but you already knew that. As usual, I'm terribly behind in my reviews but for once, I have a good reason. I am in the process of relocation. I have found an apartment and will be moving in little over a week so I've been busy packing, cleaning and getting things ready. So its not that I haven't wanted to work on my reviews, I just haven't been able to. I've got several movies in line, all of them deserving a full review, so I suppose we should just dive in to whatever movies I've got in mind.

Now, there are five movies I currently need to review, so I've written them all down on slips of paper and mixed them up in a fedora. Whatever I pull out first gets it and let's see...ironically, my first film will be the one I just saw. Ladies and gentlemen, time to break out the time machines, we're going back to the 1970s to explore “X-Men: Days of Future Past”.

This wasn't my favorite “X-Men” movie but it ranks up in the top three with me. There were some things I can't forgive with the film and there are too many unanswered questions for it to be completely satisfying. The biggest question being, why wasn't Kitty Pryde sent back in time like in the comics. According to one article I read, they didn't send her back because since the film is set in the future but takes place mostly in the 70s, Kitty wouldn't have been alive so they couldn't send her consciousness back. This makes sense to me, so I accept it.

One thing I both loved and hated was the introduction of some of the lesser known mutants, such as Bishop, Blink, Warpath, and Sunspot. I'm glad they were introduced and got to show off their powers but they are such a small part of the film. Plus, they die a few times. It gets distracting. Are they alive, are they dead, how are they still alive...I'd also like to point out that Warpath is played by BooBoo Stewart. Yes, sweet little nerdy Seth from the Twilight series has grown up and he is badass. The character designs are amazing and they fit the film very well. We also have the introduction of Quicksilver.

Quick side rant...his name is PIETRO, not PETER! That probably bothered me more than it should have every time they said it but to me, why change the name like that? It's bad enough Colossus, the Russian mutant who's skin can turn into an organic metal has gone from Piotr to Pete. Why would it be so difficult to keep it the same? Is there some sort of copyright issue going on there so they can't?

While I'm on the topic of Quicksilver, I really loved how they portrayed him. He's young, he's cocky and he just doesn't care. I thought Evan Peters did a terrific job playing the speed demon, even if he disappears completely after they get Magneto. He has one of the most memorable scenes in the entire movie, where he gets to use his powers and sort of get to see what things must look like to him. Everything looks like its going in slow motion but he's going regular speed. Even more hilarious, this little montage is set to “Time in a Bottle” by Jim Croce. I applaud the creative direction in the film but again, more Quicksilver. For instance, Logan mentions that “he knows a guy”. How do they know each other? When did they meet? How do they know each other in the future when in the movies there has been no mention of this character until now?

Also, in a short scene in an elevator, watch for a joke that only fans of the comics will understand. Magneto says he can control metal to with Peter replies, “My mom knew a guy like that once.” The awkward silence sort of hints that maybe they are father and son. It's never explicitly stated but I think the assumption is there.

Speaking of children and parents, this one ain't for the kiddies. When I went to a 7:30 showing Friday night, several people brought children as young as...probably a year or less. This movie is not child friendly! There is cursing, brief nudity and a lot of violence. The family next to me had two small children and the girl broke down and sobbed towards the climax because she was so scared. Way to go parents, you've traumatized your kid. Because there were so many children crying or talking or screaming, I had a difficult time hearing portions of the movie. I plan to see it again so I can hopefully pick up on some of the jokes I may have missed.

Like I said, this one isn't my all time favorite but it was decent. With all the unanswered questions and alterations, the overall movie just felt a little confusing and underwhelming. The actors all shine as their respective characters, especially Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. Their younger counterparts, James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, are equally talented as well. I like Ellen Page but in this case, I didn't like Kitty Pryde. When did she get the power of time travel? That is never once addressed. On that note, how did Magnto get his powers back? How did Charles get his body back? Also, young Charles, stop being such a drama queen. His whining got on my nerves many times.

I do recommend this one for anyone who is a fan of the franchise already or is a fan of the comic book series. It's really fun to watch and Fry and I had a good laugh at a scene where it looks like young Magento does a pelvic thrust to move something. Folks, we now have the pelvic thrust of DOOM! I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be funny but it just didn't go as I'd hoped. There were sections where the film dragged too much or it went way off topic. Don't bother with the 3D showings because essentially, it is useless. There are maybe two scenes that benefit from it.

If I had to go back to my old ratings system, I'd say matinee this one. It was full price in HD 3D worthy but it was dollar theater bad. Let's refresh everyone on my system.

  • Full price (including 3D, XD 3D)
  • Full price (2D)
  • Matinee (2D or 3D)
  • Dollar Theater
  • Redbox
  • Don't even bother
Don't forget, this is a Marvel movie, so do not leave when the credits start. There isn't a mid credits scene, but an end credits scene. While I can't and won't spoil it for you, I can safely say, it got me excited. The next movie, coming out in 2016, is one of my top favorite story arcs, along with House of M, Gambit Origins and anything involving Sage or Psylocke. Who are Sage and Psylocke you ask?

Google them.


I'm TheCinemaChick and I think I'll have another.

No comments:

Post a Comment