Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Better Late Than Never: Mad Max

                What’s going on everyone, I’m that girl known as TheCinemaChick!  I have a ton of laundry to do because I’m in the process of cleaning out my closet!  I have a lot of clothes I forgot I even had so this should be tons of fun.  And by tons of fun, I’m fairly certain I have a ton of clothes in there.  They’re everywhere!  I’m on a bit of a cleaning kick in general, in case you’re curious.  I have my reasons, so let’s not get into that since no one cares about me sorting clothes!
                Can we please, please, PLEASE talk about Mad Max and why it’s the most badass movie out there right now?  I mean come on…Charlize Theron is the most awesome female around right now.  And for all of you who think the film was a cop out because it wasn’t centered around Max…I don’t care!  Can you not appreciate it as a great action/adventure movie?  Visually, it was stunning.  The plot wasn’t the best but it worked with everything going on.  And hello, let’s also look at the costuming and how prefect it was to the setting?  Not to mention how the music just worked with every single scene.
                But first, let’s take a gander at everyone’s newest and most favorite character from this film, Guitar Guy!  You’ve all seen him.  He’s strapped to some speakers, playing a guitar that is also a flamethrower!
                You see, in the nerd world AKA my home planet, we would refer to him as a bard.  Bards play music in an attempt to rally his friends together and get them pumped for battle.  Tell me that isn’t what Guitar Guy does!  And I have no shame in admitting that I am a level 5 Cleric in Dungeons and Dragons.  If you think that’s lame…I don’t care!  You weren’t there when we went up against a half dozen trolls and guess what?  I, the sweet little cleric, killed 4 of them with my now favorite spell, Inflict Wounds.  Oh yeah, I’m awesome!
                Ah, but enough about my nerd habits, let’s talk about the movie!  Not going to lie, I absolutely loved it.  I didn’t think I would since I didn’t really care for the cheesy older ones with Mel Gibson, but there was a lot of thought put into this one.
                Let’s get one thing straight though.  This movie isn’t about Max.  This one is all about Furiosa.  And you know what, I’m perfectly fine with this.  Seriously, it’s not often that we get a chance to see an action movie with a female lead.  For the most part, when I see a movie like this, women are either the damsels in distress of they are a sidekick.  I admit, we did have this issue in the movie at first, but it turns out, most of the women in “Mad Max” are badass.  Other than out main heroine, we have four minor girls who do some really awesome things.
                Since the movie has been out a while, I feel I can go into the plot a bit.  It centers around Furiosa who steals the four young brides of Immortan Joe, who is super creepy.  I don’t know what he looks like or how he came to power but his costume made me uncomfortable.  She wants to get them to a safer place but he won’t allow it.  Enter Max, a living blood bag for a man named Nux.  These people are insane.  They follow Immortan Joe blindly, accepting him basically as a god.  So when the girls are taken, the boys go after them.
                Anyone remember watching “Wacky Races”?  That’s what this movie reminds me of.  Only for adults.
                The visuals in this movie are fantastic, but that also causes its downfall.  I saw the movie in 3D and the effects were amazing.  However, they won’t really translate into normal television so some of it will be lost.  On the big screen, when you see that steering wheel coming towards you, it’s breathtaking.  This is what 3D films are meant to be.  I loved that it did that instead of just making everything seem like it was in high definition.
                You know, why are so many movies being converted into 3D these days?  Is that just the trend?  Honestly, for the most part, the special effects don’t change when it’s in a different format.  I don’t see anything different between 2D and 3D.  If I’m paying extra money for special effects, I want to see them, Damnit!  I know it might just be me complaining about this but that’s just how I see it.
                OH!  Speaking of seeing a movie in the theater, can we once again talk about theater etiquette?  People, if you are planning to see a movie, for the love of Red Vines, put your phone away!  I am so sick and tired of trying to enjoy what’s going on when someone whips out a phone and starts texting.  This person was older than me as well!  You should know better by now!  There are some teenagers who are smarter than you!  I should not have to have this cell phone rant this many times.  I am going to start carrying gummy bears in my purse and start pelting people with them if they don’t knock it off.
                You think I’m kidding?
                Watch me.
                I know a lot of people are arguing that this can’t be seen as a Mad Max film because it’s not about Max.  Some people are complaining that it’s a movie for feminists.  Who says that’s a bad thing?  We need more positive, strong female role models out there!  I’m not saying you should take your ten year old daughter to this but come on…most of the movies out there have the women doing almost nothing.  We need more of this.
                I honestly have almost nothing bad to say about “Mad Max: Fury Road”.  It definitely worth seeing.  If you’re not going for the plot (which there isn’t much of one), go for the acting.  See it for the gorgeous visuals and scenery.  See it because there are some badass chicks who are smart and kick some major ass.
                What are you waiting for?
                Go out and see it!
                …Well, after you read this.
                I’m TheCinemaChick and I’m “Out of Control”



Get it?  "Out of Control"?  It's a song...here's the original video to enjoy as well...



Videos are from YouTube, no copyright infringement intended.  If you like the band, they are called "Man With a Mission".  This song features Zebrahead but go check out more of their music.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment