Sunday, September 11, 2011

TheCinemaChick promises It Gets Better

Hello everyone, I’m TheCinemaChick.  Normally, I have a review about either a movie I love or have just watched but tonight, I want to do something a little different.  Tonight, I want to speak (or type) about something that comes from the heart.  There have been videos all over youtube about this.  I even have the book about this.  And if you’re still reading, you’re probably wondering what I’m talking about.

It gets better.

I’m not a celebrity or an athlete or a musician.  I’m just an average girl who leads a boring life.  For some people, that will turn them off but for some, I hope they are intrigued enough to keep reading.  Maybe hearing it from someone who’s been through it will help those out there more than hearing it from someone with a seemingly perfect life.

For those of you have are considering suicide or have attempted it before, trust me when I say it does get better.  Yes, things might appear hopeless and ending your own life seems like the only option, but it’s not.  There are people who want to help you.  Pick up the phone, send an email, talk to a friend, just please do not take your life.

I know life can seem like hell.  I’ve been through some tough times and I was miserable in high school but life gets better.  The teenage years are hard and there are times when it seems like the world is just too much to bear.  I promise you, it will only make you stronger as you go out into the real world.  I can’t say everything will turn out perfectly because it won’t.  There will always be something that saddens or upsets you but it will seem so trivial later. 

And you may be wondering, why should you listen to me?  What could I possibly know about these things?

And the honest truth is: I have lived it.  I endured years of bullying and I have actually thought about taking my own life.  Now, as an adult, I’m glad I’m still here.  I’ve had the pleasure to meet so many wonderful people.  My friends support me no matter what I do.  I’m now 26.  I do something I enjoy, I love meeting new people and life has vastly improved.  All the years of torment have made into the person I am today.  I’m confident, I’m happy and I want to help others who have been in my situation.

The world can be a scary place when you feel like you’re all alone but you aren’t.  I’m here for you.  There are dozens of resources out there for you if you want help.  Organizations like the Trevor Project and the It Gets Better project work to help the LGBT community to help end the hate out there.  I am a member of Safe Space, which means I am someone who will never judge but is always willing to help.  I can lend an ear to listen or be a shoulder to cry on.

So, from a normal, average person, I want to tell you that it gets better.

You are beautiful, you are strong and you can have a wonderful life.  Just remember one little thing.

It gets better.  
I promise it does.

Here are some links :

No comments:

Post a Comment