Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2013 Oscar Nominations and Predictions

Hey hey everyone, its me, TheCinemaChick, finally checking in.  I know, it's a new year, so its time for new movies, but shockingly, I have yet to see anything that has come out.  Why?  January is the worst month for films.  Seriously, it's just a disappointing month.  I've seen The Hobbit again but that's about it.  Oh, speaking of that, I have a story.  See, Fry took me to see that for my birthday last week.  We're chilling, enjoying our food and drinks when this woman in front of us starts taking pictures of the screen with her phone.  Yes, she seriously did that.  Not only that, but she started looking at Facebook during the film.  How rude can you be?  First off, she was clearly older than me, so she should know better.  Second, it's distracting for the rest of us.  Third, do you not know that I am not the person to let something like that slide.  So, I waited for my moment.  When the film hit a quiet moment, I leaned forward and said (not bothering to whisper or anything since I wanted everyone to hear me) "Excuse me miss, but that is very distracting and rude, could you please stop doing it?"  Ok, so I sounded a lot meaner at the time, but she stopped.  Seriously who takes still pictures in a movie theater?  I just don't get it.  Am I missing out on something there?  If I am, please tell me. Otherwise, put your phone away or I will throw popcorn at you until you do.

Anyway, it's that time again.  The Oscars are coming up so I've got my nominations and predictions ready to go.  Disagree with me?  Let's debate.  I'm up for it.


Performance by an actor in a leading role:
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight 

Who will get it: Daniel Day-Lewis
Who should get it: Joaquin Phoenix
Who I’m rooting for: Bradley Cooper

Performance by an actor in a supporting role:
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained 

Who will get it: Tommy Lee Hones
Who should get it: Cristoph Waltz
Who I’m rooting for: Philip Seymour Hoffman

Performance by an actress in a leading role:
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, The Impossible 

Who will get it: Emmanuelle Riva
Who should get it: Jessica Chastain or Jennifer Lawrence
Who I’m rooting for: Quvenzhané Wallis

Performance by an actress in a supporting role:
Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook 

Who will get it: Anne Hathaway
Who should get it:  well…pretty much everyone is saying Anne Hathaway.
Who I’m rooting for: I’m going for an upset win with Sally Field.  Sally Field for the WIN!

Best animated feature film of the year:
Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman, Brave
Tim Burton, Frankenweenie
Sam Fell and Chris Butler, ParaNorman
Peter Lord, The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Rich Moore, Wreck-It Ralph

Who will get it: Frankenweenie (seriously?  It tanked!)
Who should get it: Wreck-It Ralph (meh)
Who I’m rooting for: Brave (my personal favorite)

Achievement in cinematography:
Seamus McGarvey, Anna Karenina
Robert Richardson, Django Unchained
Claudio Miranda, Life of Pi
Janusz Kaminski, Lincoln
Roger Deakins, Skyfall 

Who will get it: Skyfall
Who should get it:  The Master
Who I’m rooting for: Life of Pi or Anna Karenina

Achievement in costume design:
Jacqueline Durran, Anna Karenina
Paco Delgado, Les Misérables
Joanna Johnston, Lincoln
Eiko Ishioka, Mirror Mirror
Colleen Atwood, Snow White and the Huntsman 

Who will get it:  Les Miserables   (seriously?  Why?)
Who should get it: Anna Karenina
Who I’m rooting for: The Hobbit (I know it’s not listed, but there are seriously like 20 films nominated.  I went with the top ones.)

Achievement in directing:
Michael Haneke, Amour
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook 

Who will get it: Steven Spielberg
Who should get it: Ang Lee
Who I’m rooting for: David O. Russell or Benh Zeitlin

Best documentary feature:
5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
Searching for Sugar Man 

Who will get it: Searching for Sugar Man
Who should get it: How to Survive a Plague
Who I’m rooting for: 5 Broken Cameras

Best documentary short subject:
Inocente
Kings Point
Mondays at Racine
Open Heart
Redemption 

Who will get it: Open Heart
Who should get it: Kings Point
Who I’m rooting for: Redemption  I haven't seen any of these films.  They are all wild guesses

Achievement in film editing:
William Goldenberg, Argo
Tim Squyres, Life of Pi
Michael Kahn, Lincoln
Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers, Silver Linings Playbook
Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg, Zero Dark Thirty 

Who will get it: Argo
Who should get it:  Lincoln
Who I’m rooting for: Lincoln

Best foreign language film of the year:
Amour (Austria)
Kon-Tiki (Norway)
No (Chile)
A Royal Affair (Denmark)
War Witch (Canada) 

Who will get it: Amour
Who should get it: Really, any of them could win
Who I’m rooting for: Amour  I’ve heard wonderful things about it, so might as go for the favorite

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling:
Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel, Hitchcock
Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell, Les Misérables 

Who will get it: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (I support this decision fully)
Who should get it: Lincoln
Who I’m rooting for:  I think it’s obvious.  The Hobbit for the win!  I mean, did you see Richard Armitage as Thorin, or Lee Pace as Thranduil or Martin Freeman as Bilbo?  Yeah, I’m Team Peter Jackson on this…why are there teams?  Everyone’s Team This or Team That.  Sorry, ADD moment there.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original score):
Dario Marianelli, Anna Karenina
Alexandre Desplat, Argo
Mychael Danna, Life of Pi
John Williams, Lincoln
Thomas Newman, Skyfall 

Who will get it: Life of Pi
Who should get it:  Lincoln
Who I’m rooting for:  The Hobbit.  It’s a long shot and I mean, there’s like a 1% chance it will win, but one can hope.  Besides…Howard Shore is awesome.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original song):
“Before My Time” from Chasing Ice
“Everybody Needs A Best Friend” from Ted
“Pi’s Lullaby” from Life of Pi
“Skyfall” from Skyfall
“Suddenly” from Les Misérables 

Who will get it: “Suddenly” Hugh Jackman
Who should get it: “Skyfall” Adele
Who I’m rooting for: Adele all the way.  “Skyfall” was one of my favorite songs this year

Best motion picture of the year: 
Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook 
Zero Dark Thirty 

Who will get it: Lincoln
Who should get it: Silver Linings Playbook
Who I’m rooting for: Silver Linings Playbook.  I’m biased.  I admit it.


Achievement in production design:
Sarah Greenwood and Katie Spencer, Anna Karenina
Dan Hennah, Ra Vincent, and Simon Bright, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Eve Stewart and Anna Lynch-Robinson, Les Misérables
David Gropman and Anna Pinnock, Life of Pi
Rick Carter and Jim Erickson, Lincoln 

Who will get it: Anna Karenina
Who should get it: Les Miserables
Who I’m rooting for: Once again, I have to go with The Hobbit on this one.  Another bias of mine.

Best animated short film:
Minkyu Lee, Adam and Dog
PES, Fresh Guacamole
Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly, Head over Heels
David Silverman, The Longest Daycare
John Kahrs, Paperman 

Who will get it: Paperman
Who should get it: Guacamole
Who I’m rooting for: Uh…I only saw Paperman. 

Best live action short film:
Bryan Buckley and Mino Jarjoura, Asad
Sam French and Ariel Nasr, Buzkashi Boys
Shawn Christensen, Curfew
Tom Van Avermaet and Ellen De Waele, Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)
Yan England, Henry 

Who will get it: Henry
Who should get it: Buzkashi Boys
Who I’m rooting for: I haven’t seen any of them.  I’m good with whoever wins.

Achievement in sound editing:
Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn, Argo
Wylie Stateman, Django Unchained
Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton, Life of Pi
Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers, Skyfall
Paul N.J. Ottosson, Zero Dark Thirty 

Who will get it: Zero Dark Thirty
Who should get it: Skyfall
Who I’m rooting for: I don't know.  I kind of don't care either.  Let's go with...Argo, why not?

Achievement in sound mixing:
John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia, Argo
Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes, Les Misérables
Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin, Life of Pi
Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins, Lincoln
Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson, Skyfall 

Who will get it: Skyfall
Who should get it: Zero Dark Thirty
Who I’m rooting for: meh…The Avengers is nominated (not listed again).  Let’s shoot for that.

Achievement in visual effects:
Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott, Life of Pi
Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick, Marvel’s The Avengers
Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill, Prometheus
Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson, Snow White and the Huntsman 

Who will get it: Life of Pi
Who should get it: The Hobbit
Who I’m rooting for: I’m not sure.  There are some really good nominees here.  I’d lean towards The Hobbit here but still, so many good options.

Adapted screenplay:
Chris Terrio, Argo
Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
David Magee, Life of Pi
Tony Kushner, Lincoln
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook 

Who will get it: Lincoln
Who should get it:  Beasts of the Southern Wild
Who I’m rooting for: Beasts of the Southern Wild or Argo

Original screenplay:
Michael Haneke, Amour
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
John Gatins, Flight
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty

Who will get it: Amour
Who should get it: Django Unchained
Who I’m rooting for: Moonrise Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment