Thursday, May 16, 2013

Another Day on the Enterprise


 Hello my fellow insomniacs, I am the forever film addicted girl you know as TheCinemaChick. Now...spoilers. “Star Trek Into Darkness” does not come out until Friday, but I've already seen it. Yes, I walked out of the theater roughly an hour ago, feeling both overjoyed and furious. I'll get to both as I write. I predict this film will knock “Iron Man 3” out of the top slot at the box office. It's a very good movie, well written and has some great dialogue.

First and foremost, let me address something. I am sick and tired of having to say this, but people, stop using your cell phones during movies! Seriously, it should be common courtesy by now and yet, there are certain people who seem to think it's perfectly ok. I don't care if you think the movie is running long or getting boring. You are in a dark theater. The little light from your phone screen is a massive distraction. For instance, during the climax of a huge soon to be blockbuster is a bad time to start texting your friends. To the woman in front of me who was easily in her 40s, obviously you did not hear me ask you politely to stop, then yell at you and clearly you did not feel me kicking your chair.

Moral of the story: STOP USING YOUR PHONES DURING FILMS!!!

Now I can discuss the film. The first film was amazing. It was a good rendition of “Star Trek” so if you weren't familiar with the original series, “The Next Generation” or any variety of the show, the films were a good way to get into it. Now, from what I've heard, this movie takes place roughly six months after the first film in the rebooted franchise. I can buy that. JJ Abrams has also gone on record that this series takes place in an alternate time line so anything is possible. If you are planning to see this one, keep that in mind. You'll need to during a very important, very central scene. When you see it, you'll know.

I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. In fact, I didn't see the first Star Trek (by which I mean the reboot) until this past December. It hadn't interested me but I was pleasantly shocked to find that I loved it. Chris Pine made a great James Kirk while Zachary Quinto was perfect as Spock. The entire cast was well selected and I'm glad to say that the entire cast returns in the sequel. There are a few new faces, which I will get to in a moment, but for the most part, everyone should look familiar. Simon Pegg gets his role as Scotty expanded a little so he gets more screen time but sadly, Anton Yelchin's screen time is reduced. I have to admit, I like Chekov. He's just adorable.

If you've seen the trailers for this, you've noticed the addition of two people. Alice Eve joins as Carol Marcus, who doesn't add too much to the plot and Benedict Cumberbatch as the sinister John Harrison. Now, I had to ask who John Harrison was when I first heard this news. Fortunately for me, my father is a Trekkie.

Spoiler alert! It's Khan.



Yes, the man we all know and love as Sherlock is now an evil man hellbent on destruction. He makes a convincing villain. As I watched, I knew who he was and what would happen. Yet, as the film progressed, I became skeptical of myself. Maybe what I knew was wrong but right as I was convinced I didn't know anything, the movie proved me right. Cumberbatch as Khan is manipulative, deceitful and gets inside your mind. Things go one way then he just turns it all around and slaps you in the face with it. Everything about him was perfection. Seriously, there is one reason you need to see this. The second being the return of the cast.

Why was I overjoyed? Because even at a full two hours and twenty minutes, it's never boring. Even the slow moments have something to suck you in or have moments of great humor. Like, there's a scene where Kirk tells Chekov to change into a red shirt, everyone in the audience groaned. For those of you who don't know, in the original show, if you wore a red shirt, you were usually a goner. The joke is “Red shirts die first”. I won't tell you his fate, but trust me, other red shirts are not so fortunate. There are some great lines, including Dr. McCoy using a “Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor not a...” line.

“Into Darkness” was visually stunning and overall, amazing. I saw it high definition 3D, so the quality was astounding. Of course, I also saw it with a bunch of Trekkies, so they knew the jokes and they knew what to anticipate. There's also a Tribble. That is actually a huge plot point, but I won't say how or why. It is indeed there though.

Let's discuss why I'm furious. This is roughly based on “The Wrath of Khan” so if you've seen that, you know what to expect. The scene of Spock's death is one of the best in cinematic history. Well...just keep in mind this is in an alternate timeline, ok? That's all I can say about it. So...someone does angrily yell “KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!” granted, I can yell it better than they did. I wanted to enjoy it but I just can't get past it. This scene is canon in the Star Trek series and to do that to it? I was honestly wondering how the die hard fans in Star Trek shirts in front of me (yes, people can in costume) were so happy with the product. I know, the entire package is amazing but this one scene...why did it have to be like that?

This scene. (potential spoilers)



I honestly think this one is worth the splurge. See it in 3D. Even if you're not a huge fan, you'll find something to enjoy in this one. It's one of the best films I've seen in 2013 and so far, this has been a slow year for me. Not just because I haven't seen a lot of movies, but also because most of the ones I've seen have been mediocre to bad. So far, this is number one of my top movies of the year, which is sad. Then again, the summer movie season has had a slow start, so let's give it a little more time. Things will surely get better in the coming months, right?

Also, fellow Whovians, the father shown at the beginning of the film...look familiar?  Noel Clark AKA Mickey Smith is in this as well.  His appearance is brief but crucial.

Let's just say yes.

I'm TheCinemaChick and if you want to see Benedict Cumberbatch in tight pants, this is the movie for you.

I'll be at the Dallas Comic Con this Saturday! I'll be prowling around, meeting Nathan Fillion and doing all sorts of nerdy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment