Sunday, March 16, 2014

Everything is Awesome!!

 Hello everyone out there sitting at a computer! I'm the one and only girl, TheCinemaChick and as always, I review movies. Now, I actually have 4 movies left before I'm totally caught up with my list but there's a little hitch. One I'm going to save for later (I have my reasons) and the other two will never be reviewed. I will never speak of them and I will not mention the name. In short, I am so embarrassed to have seen it that I regret seeing it. The thing is, it was not a bad movie. It wasn't great but it was decent. However, because of the highly graphic and extremely controversial material, I will not touch this one with a twenty foot pole and a can of disinfectant.


If you're wondering what it is...I'm not talking. Only two other people know the title.


However, I'm not here to talk about films that will leave me mentally scarred for life! Instead, I want to talk about a film that I can finally say is perfect. I don't mean perfect in the sense that there are no flaws and its not boring. What I'm saying is that its a family film that the entire family can enjoy together. Sure, most Disney movies are like that but my nephews and niece all agreed that “Frozen” scared them a little. This film, however, should be an absolute delight.


Guys... “The Lego Movie”.


I went in thinking it would be a movie solely for the little kids. The bright colors, over enthusiastic characters, the fairly simple dialogue...it didn't win me over. Since there was nothing else to see at the time, Fry and I figured we may as well see it. We didn't expect much from it. By the end of the movie, our tunes had changed. We spent nearly the entire movie laughing. The best part is that even though it is aimed at a younger audience, the adult audience can love it too. None of the jokes are complicated so everyone can understand it. Not to mention...those graphics. It seriously looks it was really made of Legos. The animation is that incredible. The amount of effort put into this is absolutely astounding.


I know it's computer animated and my brain knows this but it's so hard to accept. A lot of time and planning had to go into this before it was even considered. Who even thought up the idea of making a movie of and about Legos? If you think about it, most of the toy/video game adaptations have been major failures. Look at “Battleship”. Look at the most recent box office bomb “Need For Speed”. The only movie I can think of that didn't fail epically is “Clue” but even that wasn't a huge hit. It does, however, have a huge cult following. Let's be honest, that movie is hilarious and no one can hate Tim Curry.


Anyway, I did mention that I went into this with very low expectations. I expected a very childish movie. To my complete surprise, it wasn't that bad. The jokes work on every level. Little kids and adults can bond over this but Legos are one toy that has survived the ages. Most of the toys have become a thing of the past, losing their value because of the digital age. Most children seem to want to play on computers, iPads, iPhones, etc. However, things like the miniature plastic blocks seem to be timeless.


This is one of those typical “loser turns out to be the hero and gets the girl” story. Emmett is a guy stuck in a world where he doesn't stand out at all. He knows everyone but no one seems to know him. Things take a huge turn when he crosses paths with Wildstyle, the rebellious girl who doesn't follow the rules. They embark on an adventure to stop the evil Lord Business and make sure all the worlds are safe. This is sort of like a massive advertisement for Legos since it does come across as a commercial at times. But, it doesn't matter because it's so appealing.


Let's discuss the characters. There are tons of cameos in this, some of which you'd never expect. As far as fictional characters, you've probably seen Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman from the previews. There's also Gandalf, Dumbledore, The Flash, Green Lantern, Shaquille O' Neal and oh yes, Lando freaking Calrissian! The man from Cloud City (along with this iconic voice provided by Billy Dee Williams) makes an appearance. And oh yes, Anthony Daniels, C-3PO, is also in this movie. The amount of talent put into this is astronomical. And the dialogue...oh my goodness let's discuss that.


There is absolutely no cursing or offensive language or any sort. The worst thing said is “heck” and “gosh”. Seriously. It really is family friendly, which I cannot stress enough. If you want something that everyone can laugh at, that everyone can enjoy, “The Lego Movie” is perfect. There are some parts that might be a little bit scary for younger kids, but overall, I see no harm in taking a child as young as four to see it. I'm an adult and I want to see it again and again. I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed “Frozen”. Sorry to “The Lego Movie” but “Frozen” had music that got stuck in my head.


I have nothing bad to say about this one. It's going to end up as one of my top favorite films this year. There's no reason for people to not see this. I can give you one really good reason. Morgan Freeman as Vitruvius. Yes. Morgan Freeman.


I'm almost done catching up at long last. I've still got to touch on “300: Rise of an Empire” and why I absolutely hated it then later this week, I'll be reporting on the newest “Muppets” movie and possibly “Divergent”. I don't know much about “Divergent” but I have been reading it. So far, it's just ok. The pacing is terrible, the descriptions are almost nonexistant and the main character isn't all that interesting. But, far be it from me to judge a book based on its movie. Unless its both a bad book and a bad movie.



I'm TheCinemaChick and I've got an orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment