Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Annabelle Comes Home...and should just stay there.

What;s up everyone, I'm the girl who loves movies but for some reason still hasn't seen the latest Spiderman!  You know me and love me (maybe, I don't know your life) as TheCinemaChick and I review movies a lot!  I know, I know, my past few posts haven't had anything to do with movies or film or anything but hey, I'm allowed to take a break every now and then, aren't I?  I like to think that I am.  But, I had to write the blog about donations because I could not verbalize my thoughts at that moment so I had no choice but to write things down.  That's just how it happens sometimes.
Besides, no one cares about my personal life or the things I'm dealing with.  We're all here to have fun and talk about movies, so let's do just that!  I know I've been talking about this film a little bit but it's time I actually take an in depth look at it.  So without further ado, let's look at the latest, most disappointing offer from "The Conjuring" series.  Let's talk about "Annabelle Comes Home".
If you don't know about this series, it's about the Warrens, who are paranormal investigators who try and help families all over the world with ghosts and demons.  They come across the Annabelle doll and that causes a chain reaction of spooky events.  I've enjoyed the series so far, because the last one honestly made me jump a few times.  However, the movies have been declining in quality.  The longer the series goes on, the less effort they seem to put into it.  In all honesty, this last one did not seem like they really cared about the content.  This was created as a cash grab.  I really didn't enjoy it.
Here's the thing.  They got incredibly lazy with so many elements.  The script was uninspired, the special effects weren't that great and the acting was sub par.  And to make things more awkward, they tried to stick a teen romance in the middle of it.  I'm sorry, what horror movie does that?  It had potential, but it was wasted on terrible horror tropes.  There could have been so many ways this movie could have gone but no, they went with something that's been seen and done so many times before.
This time, we don't even have the Warrens on screen for long.  They conveniently go out of town for something, leaving their daughter with the babysitter.  I'm wondering if some budget cuts were made for this one because it felt cheap.  However, the one thing that really got to me was the fact that they couldn't maintain a sense of consistency.  Like, it's really not that hard to fix small things between takes.  One of the most annoying things was just that, a little thing.  There was a scene in a bedroom, where there's a rocking chair in the background.  A blanket is draped over the chair and next shot, the blanket has fallen down.  Next shot, it's back up.  They seriously couldn't go back and take maybe ten seconds to fix this?  Or when one of the main characters says a cake is burnt, but not even five minutes later, it looks perfect?
Small things like this irritate me.  It shows that the crew is lazy and uninterested in this picture.  If you don't want to put pride into you work and don't give a damn about the final product, why should I?  Don't get me wrong, I understand that mistakes happen.  Every movie has them but this was ridiculous. 
I've liked the franchise up until this point.  They tried a little too hard in this one and it fell so short it's not even funny,  Not only was the set design a mess, the characters were one dimensional and they introduced a slew of new characters that probably will never get brought up again.  Not only that, but the characters are interesting.  I would love to learn more about them but no, they are relegated to cameos.  The Bride is brought in and briefly explained.  Show me more of that!  Give me a movie about her!  There's also a freaking werewolf??  I think it's a werewolf?  It may have been a dog.  I couldn't tell because it was a blur and never fully shown.
The plot was also easy to predict.  Two teenagers in a creepy house with haunted objects and no adult supervision?  Clearly, there will be shenanigans!  I never got a sense of tension or fear.  I wanted to be scared, that's the point of going to a horror movie, right?  ?  Give me a jump scare, give me a sense that I'm being followed, give me anything!  Don't just rely on the tired old ideas because they aren't working anymore.  And to make matters worse, there is going  to be another Conjuring movie.  Yes, apparently we are milking this series for all it has.  Did we learn nothing from Insidious?  The first one was good, then they started going downhill to the point where I stopped caring.  Stop beating franchises to death like this.  Let them go out on a good note for once. 
And the ending made no damn sense!  Jude, the daughter of the Warrens, is an outcast at school.  They make this painfully obvious.  It's a plot point they devote about twenty five minutes to.  Yet, at the end, everyone who has shunned her at school shows up to her birthday party?  Kids don't have a change of heart overnight like this.  Let's be honest, some kids are assholes.  The bullies won't just decide to be nice for no reason, but in this universe, she becomes popular?  I know this movie isn't one for realism but can we get a little realism here?
      I don't know guys.  I was just so let down by this movie.  It wasn't memorable and it couldn't capture the spooky feeling from the others.  The franchise is rapidly losing steam and I can see why.  I didn't see The Nun or The Curse of La Llorona, but my trusted friends at the movie theater said they weren't worth the money.  Most people who did see them, hated them.  Maybe I need to see them in order to appreciate this one, I don't know.  I have no plans to see them in all honesty.  I know, as a critic, I should keep an open mind, but this is getting out of hand.  Give me something good for once.  Give me a movie that will freak me out and make me think about it days later.
I'm TheCinemaChick and hopefully, I'll catch up on my reviews this week.  Up next, Spiderman: Far From Home and Hobbs and Shaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment