Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Repo! The Genetic Opera

Hey everyone, it's your friendly neighborhood movie gal, TheCinemaChick!

I hope you found my review of "Season of the Witch" helpful.  If not, I can't stop you.
As promised, tonight I'm going to talk about a movie I recently fell in love with.  It's the brain child of Darren Smith and Terrance Zdunich.  Neither of them are very well known, but this movie isn't either.  The title says it all.  It's a rock opera about genetics and organ repossession.  Yes, you read correctly, organ repossession.  I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of slasher, blood everywhere, but this movie does it right.
It's a delightful mix of surgeries, disembowelment, deception and Paris Hilton.  Yeah, it's full of surprises.  The story starts off with Shiloh, a seventeen year old girl with an unnamed blood disease.  Her father is Nathan, who is secretly the repo man of GeneCo, which is run my Rotti Largo.  Rotti hates Nathan because the woman he loved, Marni, chose Nathan and gave birth to a daughter.  Marni dies of blood poisoning and Nathan blames himself.  We learn later that it was Rotti who slipped the poison into the medicine Marni took.  So, Shiloh is confined to her bedroom because of her illness and her father treats her.  She has a hidden door that leads to her mother's grave, which is her only portal to the outdoor world.  However, she also collects bugs, so when she sees one, she chases it, unintentionally locking herself out of the mausoleum.  This is where she meets Graverobber, who's name is also his occupation.
Now, here's something to remember.  In this movie, organ failure is so common that people get plastic surgery more often.  It's quite normal to get a new lung or kidney or nose every week.  GeneCo has also developed a drug called zydrate to help with the pain.  While it is readily available, some people buy it from Graverobber, who gets it from, you guessed it, graves.  Corpses apparently still have plenty of the drug, so he drains them and sells it to others.  Paris Hilton's character, Amber Sweet, is a regular of his.

Ok, normally, I'm not a fan of the socialite.  I didn't enjoy her short lived music career, loved watching her reality TV fame crash and overall, I'm not a fan.  However, she is incredible in this movie.

Well, the movie progresses and we meet Pavi and Luigi, Rotti's son and Amber's brothers.  Pavi is a manwhore and Luigi has some anger issues.  We also get to know Blind Mag, who is a tragic hero of sorts.  She is bound to Geneco because Rotti agreed to give her new eyes in echange for her life.  Mag has a lifelong contract to sing for them.  Marni was her best friend, so through that, she knows Nathan and later, Shiloh.  There is a long series of events that switch between Shiloh's adventures in the city with Graverobber and Nathan's secret life of murdering people.  Blind Mag meets Shiloh at a carnival and is it turns out, Mag didn't even know Shiloh was alive.  Later, Mag goes to the house and reveals that she is Shiloh's godmother.
What's sad is that we know Mag is going to die.  She is scheduled for her last performance, then her eyes will be repossessed.  Shiloh begs her father to save Mag, but he refuses.  In the mean time, Rotti has been dying of another unnamed disease, but doesn't see his children as worthy heirs.  Who better to run his company that a teenage girl who has barely left her house?  No one!  So, towards the end, there is a very breathtaking, albeit bloody scene.

I wish I could go into more detail with this film, but it's something you should watch.  It's not for the children because there is some mild nudity, lots of cursing and even more blood.  I did find this movie refreshing because it's not like anything else I've ever seen.  How many rock operas out there are about surgery and organ repossessions?  Seriously, have you seen any other one?    Didn't think so.
The music is catchy, the visuals are very intense and like I said, it's just original  The costume design is amazing and it's totally worth checking out.  If you don't do blood, skip this.  I find myself being able to watch it over and over and still finding new things to enjoy.  I also admit that I have a lot of the songs on my iPod, so I listen to it on the go.

So, that's what I think.  I love it, I recommend it and am incredibly glad I found a copy of this movie at my local Half Price Books store.  If you want it, better look on Amazon or iTunes.  It's hard to find because it wasn't well promoted

I am now a fan of Terrance Zdunich, who sadly has never done another movie.  He is an amazing artist though.  Check out his website if you don't believe me.

Well, it's getting late for TheCinemaChick, so I must bid you farewell for now.
Next on my list, Burlesque.  I'm not thrilled with this one.  I'd rather watch Season of the Witch again then see Burlesque again.

Happy movie watching,
TheCinemaChick.

No comments:

Post a Comment