Saturday, February 25, 2012

The perfect date movie

            Hey everyone, please call me TheCinemaChick!  I’m your anonymous girl in the movie theaters and once again, I’m here to let you know what’s going on in the Hollywood world.  But before we get to that, I’d like to add in a disclaimer.  You see, in my last review, I got a comment that made me feel a bit bad.  So, here’s my new disclaimer which might have to appear in all my future blogs.

            **I am not the authority on movies.  I’m just a critic and an amateur one at that.  Just because I don’t like something, it doesn’t mean you have to hate it too.  Everything I write is my opinion.  Don’t let me decide things for you.  Go out and see movies then make your own decision on whether its good or not.  You may even notice something I don’t and change my mind about it.
            One more time: I just give opinions.  I don’t have the final say on what you see.**

            Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get into the movie!  I know, I meant to have this posted earlier in the week, but things just keep getting in the way.  I’d be ready to write, then be called away.  Someone would get sick so I’d have to babysit or be on standby in case I needed to run out.  Things were just crazy but now I have some down time so I’m finally getting around to reviewing the hit romance flick, The Vow.

            As I’ve mentioned several times before, I’m not a huge fan of romantic comedies because they come off as formulaic and predictable.  Technically, this one follows that same pattern, but with a twist.  If you’ve seen the previews, you know it’s about a woman who loses her memory due to a horrific car wreck and the great lengths her husband goes to in order to remind her of their life together.  Sounds pretty straightforward and simple, I admit.  And overall, it is very simplistic and low key.  There’s no fancy camera work, no trick photography, just a story unfolding in front of your eyes.

            The lead roles are played by Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams.  Paige (McAdams) suffers a terrible head injury due to an accident.  I have to warn you, this scene might be mildly disturbing to sensitive viewers.  It’s done in slow motion, so you get to really experience the wreck, down to the moment where she hits her head.  It’s graphic but it really gets you into the story.  After that, it becomes the typical Hollywood romance movie I’ve already seen a hundred times before.  Only instead of a meddling friend or overbearing parent, the leading lady has amnesia.

            The movie is fairly slow paced, almost agonizingly slow.  I watched this movie with Fry and Unown and all three of us were bored.  That’s not to say it was bad, but it just didn’t appeal to us like we thought it would.

            Here’s my thoughts on why I personally didn’t like but others would.  The main focus of the film is the relationship between Paige and Leo (Tatum).  It’s sweet, it’s beautiful and it’s very touching, but as a single woman, I can only dream of a man who’ll go to that much effort to be so great to me.  I don’t have a boyfriend to spoil me or take care of me when I need it.  If you have a significant other, you’ll watch this and think of them and all the things they have done or would do for you.  

            It’s a great couple’s movie.  The Vow will make you think of why and how you fell in love with someone.  It also makes you think, “What am I willing to do for the one I love?  How far will I go to protect and help them?”

            While I am disillusioned in the romance department, I do have some fond moments of when I felt truly loved.  Like…my last boyfriend, the Gopher (weird name, but he kept falling in holes, so we called him a gopher), was a sweet guy.  When I found out several of my close friends had been lying to me about something fairly important, I asked him if he’d ever lied to me.  He spent an hour on the phone with me assuring me that he was always honest.  Knowing he gave up an hour of sleep for me made me feel like I was special.  Granted, a few months later we parted ways…I do miss him very much but he’s moved on.

            I mean, no guy has ever bought me flowers or anything special like that, but still, the idea that maybe some day, some guy can see past my physical flaws and learn to love me for who I am, not what I look like.

            I’m off topic.  Apologies.

            The Vow is a great movie to see when you’re on a date, but be warned, because it is such a quiet movie, you might hear that movies in the next theater.  I had that problem and it detracted from the overall experience.  Plus, I’m not a fan of Rachel McAdams and I know nothing about Channing Tatum.  I couldn’t tell you what movies he’s been in.  Oh wait, yes I can…he was in GI Joe.

            Overall, I’m very on the fence about this one.  I didn’t hate it, but I don’t love it.  I still stand by my statement that it is the perfect movie for couples to see.  Hell, if you enjoy romantic movies, you’ll love this.  As for me, I could have done without it.  While it was endearing and sweet, it just did nothing for me.  I do know that it was based off a true story, which is another reason I can’t hate it.  I like the idea that some guy actually did all this for his wife because he loved her so much.

            If you want a nice heartwarming film, check out The Vow.  If you like Rachel McAdams or Channing Tatum, go see this.  *Men, a heads up, there is a nude scene where Tatum’s backside is shown.  Just telling you now*.  I can see why its done so well and why so many people are raving about it.  However, it’s just not my favorite genre so I personally didn’t care for it as much as others.  Maybe I have some hang ups, maybe I just don’t like the obvious formula used in every romantic comedy out there.  I don’t know, but The Vow was not my favorite movie.

            Save this one for date night.  Go out to dinner then see this.  It’ll make you appreciate your significant other in ways you might not have imagined before.

            I’m TheCinemaChick and I’m most likely wearing a hoodie at this very moment.

1 comment: