Friday, February 8, 2013

Zom Rom Com!


            Hello all you potentially Valentine’s Day loving people!  I go by TheCinemaChick and I’m here to let you know what sucks and what rocks in the theaters.  I know, I know, I still haven’t quite gotten back into my groove yet.  My apologies loyal readers, all…five or six of you.  You see, I’ve had some unfortunate paperwork to deal with.  As you all know, my mother passed away a few months ago so we (by that I mean my brother, my uncle and myself) have had to finish up with a few affairs.  One aspect of it is completed, meaning we only have two more major things to address.
            That aside, I did get a chance to see “Warm Bodies” this past weekend.  Butterfly and I met up and saw it together.  I’ll admit, the zombie romance comedy isn’t one of the more prominent genres out there, but it should be.  Who says all zombies have to be creepy horror monsters?  If vampires can have compassion and human qualities, why can’t zombies?  Ok, maybe it’s because they feast on the flesh of the living in order to survive.  That might be a major problem there, I admit.  But other than that, the zombie is one of the lesser used supernatural creatures.  Let’s face it, for the past few years; we’ve all been swept into vampire mania.  I blame you, Edward Cullen!
            Anywho, I like “Warm Bodies”.  It’s not my favorite film this year, but then again, the only other film I’ve seen in 2013 is “Hansel and Gretel” which sucked.  Wow…mid-February and I’ve only seen two movies this year.  I am slacking hardcore.
            If you haven’t seen this latest topper of the box office, you should.  Well, not everyone should see it.  I wouldn’t take young kid to see it because there is some cursing, semi-sexual moments and some zombies snacking on humans.  Oh and a lot of people get killed.  “Bonies” which are like…super dead zombies, sort of…eat people as well.  Not to mention, there are scenes where our main zombie R (Nicholas Hoult) is snacking on a brain.  Mmmm…brains…
            I’m not saying it’s cool or that it’s lame, but I can’t handle stuff like that.  Gore tends to make me physically ill, so I had to turn away a few times.  Then again, all the nasty stuff is over after about fifteen minutes.  It sort of defeated the point of it being a zombie movie in my opinion.  After that, it seemed to focus more on the romance, which I get it.  This is a romantic comedy after all.  But then I get confused with another point.  In the beginning, R says they can really only grunt and occasionally speak words.  Once he has Julie (Teresa Palmer) in his grasp, he seems to be able to speak fairly well.  Ok, so it’s not exactly that great, but he can communicate with her.
            He basically holds her hostage for a few days before they strike out on their own to find her dad, who happens to be the guy heading up the “kill all zombies” crew.  They take a car and hole up in a house.  She leaves, he goes home only to find that his friends are turning human as well.  The “bonies” are after them, so they have to protect Julie.  Basically, they convince Grigio (John Malkovich) that zombies are becoming human again, there’s a mediocre battle and it’s over.  It’s a decent ending for a decent film, but I guess I was wanting more.  I know, I know, I’m super critical.  And you may ask, why am I so critical?
            To quote Jim Moriarty from BBCs Sherlock, “THAT’S WHAT PEOPLE DO!”
            Yes, I just quoted Moriarty.  Any possible argument you had is completely invalid.
            My main issues with the film are that I’m not entirely sure what happened to get the world to where it was.  All they mention is an apocalypse, but what caused that.  Was it nuclear, biological, chemical…don’t say the world ended and not tell me how.  Even then, how did some people survive and remain human but some of them turned into zombies?  How long ago did this apocalypse happen?  Was it like world war three?  It just starts with R and goes on from there.  Also, it feels like a cop out because instead of explaining things, they just say that he doesn’t remember anything, therefore they don’t have to explain it.  Well, there are humans who remember what happened, so why can’t they explain it?
            But then another question is raised.  How do the zombies come back to life?  I understand that seeing something about love sparks something inside of them which causes their heart to start beating again, but that just doesn’t make sense.  After seeing R and Julie hold hands, the others realize something’s changing.  Later, they see a sign in the airport which causes even more change and that begins the revolution.  If I’m correct, that sign has been there the whole time and they just never noticed it.  Once again, that doesn’t make sense.  Unless they needed the initial push in order for them to completely undergo the change. But if that’s the case, it should have been explained as well. 
            Then there is the weird tie in to “Romeo and Juliet”.  Seriously, his name is R, she’s Julie and they are sort of star crossed lovers.  There’s even a scene with him on the ground, calling up to her.  I thought that was pretty cool.  It’s a modern retelling of a classic only with zombies and everyone doesn’t die.  Could it have been better, yes.  Was it good for the price I paid, meh.  I wouldn’t want to own it but it’s still an ok film.  It’s nice to have something fairly new, that hasn’t been done a million times already. 
            Oh, a note to Summit, we get it already.  You’re super proud that you snagged the “Twilight” franchise.  You can stop making a nod to it in every single freaking movie you put out there.  Seriously, the nods aren’t even subtle anymore.  In this one, Julie and Parry (Dave Franco) are lying in a field together, being all sweet and romantic.  Tell me this isn’t a coincidence.  Julie even dresses like Bella.  Geez, find something else to be proud of already!  We get it!  Twilight is over and it’s time we all move on!  I wish Summit could realize this since everyone else in the world has.
            I’d say that you should see “Warm Bodies” on Valentine’s Day.  It has something for everyone in it.  There’s a nice shot of Nicholas Hoult in the shower and a scene with Teresa Palmer stripping.  There’s no nudity though.  And when you see the film, you’ll understand why she takes off her clothes.  The ending is sweet, which is something you don’t expect to see in a zombie movie.  Think about it, this is a post-apocalyptic zombie film, but it’s a light hearted, happy one.  Once again, not something you see every day.

            I know this is fairly short for me, but htat’s really all I have to say on the matter.  It’s a good movie, well worth watching but not for the little ones.  It is a little predictable and there are a few times when the movie lags.
            Honestly, this has been a terrible year for movies so far.  Everything has been rated horribly or it’s just not worth it.  The only films I’m really looking forward to come out in the summer.  “Star Trek” comes out, along with the next “Iron Man”, which I won’t be able to see the day it comes out.  I’ll be at a wedding down in Austin.  Yes, my cousin is getting married.  Maybe I’ll see if Mumford’s free and go see it with him.  That’d be pretty cool.
            So far, the next films in my queue are “Side Effects”, the thriller about pharmaceuticals. “Beautiful Creatures”, about some girl in Georgia who’s also a witch or something and I have no idea.  I haven’t been keeping track mostly because nothing appeals. 
            My kingdom for some good movies.
            And you may say, “CinemaChick, I’ll find you a good movie to see in February or March.”
            To which I respond with yet another quote from Moriarty, “No you won’t!”

            I’m TheCinemaChick and I believe I will be at the Dallas Sci Fi Expo this Sunday, February 10, along with Fry.  We will be wearing Doctor Who shirts and seeking out Billy Boyd who will be at the expo as well.  If you’re there, come find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment