Thursday, January 16, 2014

12 Years a Slave

 What's up guys, I'm TheCinemaChick and I watch more movies than I should. So far, 2014 is shaping up to be a pretty decent year. “Hercules” was a bust but “12 Years a Slave” is one of the most powerful movies I have seen in a while. It's not for the faint of heart, I can say that. The movie had moments that made me sad, made me happy and some scenes that made me genuinely sick. On the other hand, it is a truly amazing film. Steve McQueen deserves all the nominations he has gotten for this one. It'll make you want to turn away but at the same time, you can't take your eyes off the screen.


And this has some huge names in it. We've got Benedict Cumberbatch and Micheal Fassbender, along with some people you've probably heard of and go “I know I've seen them in something”. For instance, Sarah Paulson who you may know from the American Horror Story series. Paul Dano has done several films but he's not as well known as the others. One name I want to mention is Quvenzhané Wallis. She was nominated for an Oscar last year for her portrayal of Hushpuppy in “Beasts of the Southern Wild”. Keep in mind, that was her first role ever. I have not seen that one but I would really like to. Maybe soon I will break down and either buy it or rent it on Amazon. I will say this, she is absolutely adorable. She's got more movies coming out in the future and I see a bright future for this girl.


**If I get a little...crass or offensive, I sincerelt apologize. The movie is full of racial slurs, violence and various cruel acts. It is very hard to discuss them without going into some detail. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone. This review will contain sensitive material, so please proceed with caution. I am honestly uncomfortable writing this but the film was so amazing, I need to write about it.**


***Also, some spoilers ahead.**


“12 Years a Slave” focuses on Solomon Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a free black man in the North. He has a wife and two children. When a man approaches him about a possible job, he jumps at it, only to find out that they are basically slave recruiters. They kidnap black people and take them into the South. This begins the emotionally charged journey Solomon takes. He's forced to give up his identity when he is told his name is Platt. Even more heartbreaking is when the slaves are being auctioned. Some of them are stripped naked and made to stand in the middle of a room to be inspected. This is the scene where we meet Ford (Cumberbatch). His character shows that not all slave owners were terrible. He does try to keep a mother with her two children because he can't bear to tear them apart. However, the auctioneer allows another man to buy the son.


I know we've all studied this part of history growing up. We can only imagine how terrible it was. Seeing it, even in a film, makes it even worse. I can't say fictional because this is based off a memoir of the same name by the titular character. Ford tries to be kind to all his slaves, not working them too hard, making sure they are taken care of, but his wife, Mistress Ford (Liza Bennett) does not share his sympathy. The overseer Tibeats (Paul Dano) is also a very cruel man, yelling at the slaves and humiliating them at every possible chance. He even makes them clap along while he sings a very derogatory song. When Platt stands up for himself and attacks the overseer, Tibeats and his men actually intend to kill Platt by hanging him. By some miracle, Platt does not die but ends up standing literally on the tips of his toes all day.


There is a scene of him just standing in the mud, trying to stay alive that lasts probably four or so minutes. I genuinely had trouble keeping my eyes on the screen. My emotions were swirling at this point. I wasn't sure if I was furious, upset or sickened. One maid sneaks him a cup of water and eventually, Ford returns from wherever he was and cuts the rope. However, because Platt harmed a white man, he can no longer stay with Ford. He is sent to Edwin Epps, played by Micheal Fassbender. While I didn't quite buy Benedict as a Southerner, Fassbender blew my mind. His character was a very cruel, angry, lecherous man and he captured it perfectly. I hate saying that but its true. Epps works his slaves harder than Ford, barely allowing them any type of minimal luxury.


They pick cotton all day and if they do not meet a certain quota, they are severely beaten. Fortunately, a lot of this violence is not shown, just heavily implied. This is also where we meet another important character, Patsey. In my mind, Lupita Nyong'o deserved a Golden Globe for her performance. While Solomon/Platt is the main character, Patsey is equally as important. She is a...”favorite” of Epps and is often subjected to his cruelty. Because Mistress Epps knows this, she is even worse. Mistress Epps throws heavy glass bottles at Patsey, encourages her husband to beat her, amongst other things. It's bad enough that there is a scene containing rape. It's not implied or briefly shown, you basically see the whole thing.


**This next paragraph will be extremely graphic. Be warned.**


Now, Patsey does have a friend, a white man, who helps her out on occasion. After days and days of working in the hot sun, she becomes sickened by her own smell. She visits her friend to get some soap. When Master Epps learns of this, he has her tied to a pole to be whipped. He then turns the tables on Platt, forcing him to whip Patsey, basically at gun point. Platt does so, hardheartedly. Epps gets frustrated and takes over. This scene, if you choose to see this film, is incredibly hard to watch. She is helpless and you see the damage that is done to her back. Blood flies with every whip and her skin is literally ripped apart. Patsey is whipped so severely, she begs Platt to end her life. She is no longer able to cope with the pain or rape. He refuses.


**And we're done with that.**


It sounds so wrong to say the film gets better, seeing as its been so violent, but it does. Brad Pitt shows up, looking fresh from Amish country. He plays Bass, a Canadian man who opposes slavery and does contract labor earns Platt's trust. The two men get to talking where Platt confides that he is really Solomon Northup, a free man with a family in the North. Northup begs Bass to take a letter to Saratoga. Knowing it is incredibly dangerous, Bass agrees.


Time passes and one day, a man shows up to the plantation. Platt is called over, asking if he knows a certain man. He does, recognizing this person as a shopkeeper he is friends with from home. Platt answers several questions and is granted his freedom. Epps is furious and demands to keep his “property”. Patsey is devastated to see him go, but is glad that he gets to leave the life behind. Solomon is reunited with his family, overjoyed to discover that he is now a grandfather. The film closes with the credits adding a little more information, like how Northup was not able to prosecute the men who abducted him. It concludes saying the details of his death and burial are a mystery.


Honestly, “12 Years a Slave” is a very powerful, emotionally charged movie that will have your heart breaking. It is not for the faint of heart or stomach, I will say that. I almost could not bear it but I forced myself to watch. It took about an hour for me to recover from the film. While it sounds like I would never recommend this to anyone, I highly recommend it. Steve McQueen handled a very delicate situation and a dark place in history very well. I could have done without the torture but at the same time, I can see why he showed it.


Micheal Fassbender deserved an Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor while Chiwetel Ejiofor would have been a strong contender for Best Actor. The film did win “Best Film of the Year” at the Golden Globes and has earned an Oscar nomination for “Best Film of the Year”. Having seen many of the films on the list, its going to be a tough call. I will be doing my annual Oscar predictions soon, so stay tuned for that.


It's the beginning of the year and I'm already behind. Luckily, I don't have classes on Friday and Monday is a holiday, so I have time to catch up. I need to review “Saving Mr. Banks”, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones” and “Blue is the Warmest Color”. And, as I already pointed out, it's Oscar season. So far, I'm liking what 2014 has to offer.


However, I see “American Hustle” earned a whopping ten Oscar nods. Did they see a different version than me? I thought the film was horrible, easily one of the worst films I've seen. Far too much cursing and for the love of smoked salmon, someone get Amy Adams a real shirt! To each their own, but I hated it.


I'm TheCinemaChick and yesterday was my birthday.




This is purely based on my opinion, no offense or plagiarism intended.  I did mention there would be sensitive material, so if I in any way upset of offended you, my dear reader, please accept my sincerely apology.








No comments:

Post a Comment