Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Something Borrowed, something unoriginal

Hey everyone, it's your friendly neighborhood critic, TheCinemaChick.  I know, I know, I haven't posted anything since Thor.  Honestly, I've hit a slump that I cannot seem to get out of.  I've lost interest in damn near everything and to make matters worse...I'm having man troubles.  Seven years with a guy and he up and leaves...ah, enough about my personal life.  You don't read my blog for my life.

And now...Something Borrowed.

This movie is about Rachel, who is in love with Dex, who is engaged to Darcy who is sleeping with Marcus and is pregnant by him.Rachel and Dex sleep together at the beginning of the movie and spend the rest of it trying to keep it a secret and hide it from Darcy.  They spend weekends in the Hamptons together so in order to help her cope, Ethan (Rachel's friend) is brought along.  Ethan has his own problems because another friend, Claire, slept with him and is now determined to get with him again.  However, he has no intention to be with her, going so far as to claim that he's gay.

Normally, I go into more detail, but honestly, that's about all you need to know.  The entire plot centers around the characters lying, covering their lies and stabbing each other in the back.  At certain points, they try to introduce side plots that never lead anywhere.  We get to meet Dex's parents midway through and the film makes a point to point out that Dex's mother has really bad depression.  She is mentioned twice but Dex constantly brings her up.  Darcy isn't even in the movie that much, nor is Marcus but they are mentioned all the time.  95% of this movie is just Dex and Rachel whining about wanting to be together but not being able to.  Here's a thought: Call of the wedding with Darcy and go with Rachel before anyone gets hurt.  Simple as that.  Sadly, I'm not a screenwriter so Hollywood didn't listen to me.  The movie keeps going.

Towards the end of the film, things go all to hell.  Darcy has her bachelor party and stays over with Rachel.  Dex shows up unannounced which complicates things so Rachel says it's Ethan coming by for a booty call.  Darcy believes it and the next morning, admits that she isn't sure she wants to marry him.  Around this time, Ethan announces that he's moving to England which shocks Rachel.  Apparently some time passes because when she goes to visit him, he's already got his place set up and everything.  While there, Ethan admits that he's in love with Rachel.  Seriously?  Is everyone in love with everyone?  I'm close to my friends but not THAT close!  Granted, there was this one time with this one guy...but still!  Friends don't get into such complicated, confusing and pretty awful situations.

What does TheCinemaChick think?
It's a stereotypical romantic comedy, minus a lot of the comedy.  It's predictable, it's boring and I don't like the "even if you screw your best friend's man and everything goes to shit, but everything turns out great in the end" message.  Seriously.  Cheating on someone like that causes major damage to friendships, relationships and even families.  Believe it or not, I stole someone's boyfriend once and she now hates me.  In my defense, their relationship was failing miserably and she introduced us.

According to my rating's system, I'd say Redbox this.  It wasn't worth the $4 I paid to see it.  I don't care for Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin isn't my new favorite actress.

TheCinemaChick, did you like anything about "Something Borrowed"?
Yes.  John Krasinski.  Go see it for him.  He is seriously the only thing I enjoyed about this film.  He provides the humor, the sarcasm and actually has a decent personality.  Other than that, skip it.

Well, I'm TheCinemaChick and this is part one of a three part series.  Plan on seeing two more reviews tonight because I am really behind.  Up next...Priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment