Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thor...hell yeah!

Hello everyone reading this blog, or possibly reading it over someone’s shoulder!  I’m TheCinemaChick and you can find me at a theater near you…assuming you live in the same place as I do.  If you don’t…sucks for you.

Tonight, I’m tacking the newest Marvel sensation, Thor.  Ah Thor, it’s the first movie I haven’t completely hated in a while.  It’s a Kenneth Brannagh film which came as a huge shock to me.  Brannagh is known for Shakespearean acting, not action packed, comic book epics.  I have to admit, this movie freaking ROCKED!  I loved it!  I’m not only saying this because Chris Hemsworth is absolutely gorgeous and his topless scene was positively drool worthy.  He’s also an excellent actor. 

Hemsworth is fairly new to the Hollywood scene.  He doesn’t have many films under his belt yet, but Thor will catapult his career into super stardom.  So far, my predictions have been exceeded.  I told Fry I expected the movie to take in roughly thirty two million this weekend and as of an hour ago, Thor is number one at the box office with a take of sixty six million. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the summer movie season.

Because it’s still opening weekend, I won’t go into the plot today.  I’m going to give everyone a chance to experience it.  Thor is out in 3D and 2D, but I chose to see it in 2D.  After seeing it once, I’d be willing to see it in 3D.  The graphics are beyond amazing.  I’m normally not a fan of CGI, but it worked well.

As usual, Fry accompanied me to the movie.  She wasn’t as psyched as I was to see it, but she still loved it.  And in this review, I have a special guest joining me.  Let’s give a big welcome to Zaden.  She is a fellow blogger (only she is like a chef where I’m just a critic).  Zaden and I know each other from college.  I asked friends on Facebook to give their feedback on Thor.  While most of my blogs are just mine and whomever I see the film with, but I enjoy hearing what other people think.  Here’s what she thinks:

While I liked the movie over all, it was a bit cheesy at times and off the comics. I this was because to me, Loki and many of the minor characters didn't seem as natural as they could have been. I mean, Loki was like something out of a syfy special lol (but he was great none the less). For the story; while I am all for the ancient aliens theory, the whole Asgardians are aliens thing was a short run, ill received story line of the comics run in the 90s and so seems very random in that light (personally though, I liked it) and something they kinda dance around. I had a friend that didn't even catch it. Thor's dynamic seems kinda quick and contrived but the actor did great with the character. Graphics were amazing! That rainbow bridge? Hell yeah! And I loved the gatekeeper for that matter. I wish there had been more epic battles with the frost giants. I thought they were cool (pun intended!).
Overall, visually spectacular, fun and entertaining, but not quite to par with some of the other recent super hero movies.


Zaden says what I think.  Visually, the movie is amazing.  I didn’t hate the CGI in it and the scenes shot.  My mother asked about the movie when I visited her earlier, because after all, it is mother’s day.  I raved about it for probably ten minutes when she said “It’s about time you saw a movie you actually liked.”  It’s true, however, there are things I didn’t enjoy.

So now it’s time for what I did and didn’t like.

Since my list of dislikes is small and my likes are great, I’m just going to tell you what I didn’t like.  I didn’t care for the length.  Towards the end of the movie, I was getting bored.  It ran just a little too long.  Also, I don’t really like Natalie Portman’s character because I don’t think she really contributed anything to the film.  Ok, yes she’s a physicist and she researches…Norse mythology…sort of…but other than that, she’s just the typical love interest.  Also, I didn’t like the design of Asgard.  It made me think of a pipe organ.
Also, I’m on the fence about Rene Russo.  Her character did not have enough time for me to like her or dislike her.  She barely even spoke.  Either flesh the character out more or leave her out.

I’m pleased with how it ended, though it was a little sad.  There is also a bonus scene after the credits.  I don’t know what it means.  I’ve seen it and all I know is that it points to the Avengers movie, coming out in 2012.

Well, my motivation has been killed, so I’m going to call it a night.  Thank you Zaden for your commentary and check out her blog for some yummy recipes.  

Marvel, you have restored my faith in your movies.  The X-Men franchise was dealt some damage though.  I am now more willing to see a Marvel based movie because of Thor.  I’m ready for Captain America.

So, what’s next for TheCinemaChick?
Pirates of the Caribbean
Green Lantern
Something Borrowed
Bridesmaids

It’s summer movie season!!  I love my job!  

…oh yeah, I’m also a paid critic now.  My stepbrother in law said I’m a professional.  I don’t feel like one though.

I’m TheCinemaChick and on behalf of my friends and crew, I bid you a pleasant theater experience.

Happy mother’s day to my family, friends and everyone out there.

1 comment:

  1. "THIS DRINK WAS GOOD! BRING ANOTHER!"
    GREAT review as always.

    ReplyDelete