Friday, August 29, 2014

The Purge Anarchy

 What's up everyone, you can call me TheCinemaChick and I'm that girl you all know and fear! Okay, so maybe fear is the wrong word. I'm really not that scary. In fact, I'm actually quite pleasant and sometimes, I'm even funny. I do enjoy a good pun. I suppose you could say I'm rather punny. Don't shoot me for my poor humor. I know it's lame. I also succeed with really bad jokes and often times, my jokes are terrible.

Once again, you don't care about that. You want to know what movie I'm going to talk about since I keep promising to get back on track but never do! I promise, I am working on this and I will do better in the future. After last week's untimely loss of both Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall...I've been in a funk. I don't know why but just talking about my depression can really offset me and depress me. Part of is is ashamed that I struggle with my mental health and another part of me knows this isn't something I'm alone on. I just wish I could be normal for a change. The sad mood, the lack of interest in things, the mood swings....they get so old so fast. After years and years of fighting it, I don't want to anymore.

I'm not saying I want to give up on life, I just want things to be different. So, I've decided that I am going to make some changes. One of them being that I will be starting up vlogs again soon. Tomorrow, well today, DigitalDad and I are going shopping for a wireless card because my brother kindly donated his desktop computer to me. And by donated, I mean he recently moved the Abu Dhabi and left me with a bunch of his stuff. I got my entire kitchen from him. I also got his super awesome ASUS computer that he basically built. It's actually nicer than my laptop, so I plan to start using that soon. Also, I'm getting a camera! I have wanted a real camera for so long, not just my lame little webcam. So things should be picking up in that department.

Now, I have seen quite a few movies this summer, some of them good, some of them just awful. One of the ones I didn't care for is “The Purge: Anarchy”. I enjoyed the first one mainly because of that one character being so freaking upbeat and polite. The second installment was so much worse that the first one. It starts off with three different stories that end up converging into one. And they're still beating us in the head with the “Blessed are the new founding fathers” line. We get it! It's still America, just revamped. No, it's still the same crappy place, just with more violence! And it's the same basic premise, one night with no repercussions. No matter what you do, it's legal. It's the same freaking thing, just with new characters.

In this one, we have a mother and daughter, a married couple and a man with a vendetta. They're all rather bland in my opinion. Even in situations that call for emotions, they all seemed too calm for what's going on. I get that they still showed it but I'd be a little more hysterical if someone had a gun to my head. I wouldn't just cry a little. Also, how the hell did people's makeup never get messed up? Like, everyone who had it on always look flawless. They are running through the streets, sweating and getting into stuff, they should be greasy and grimy.

Again, the story isn't much to tell. As the film progressed, it became incredibly predictable. You knew who would get in trouble, where they'd run to, what would happen, you know the drill. It was a general disappointment. Had there been someone like the creepy Polite Leader from the first one, perhaps this would have been more interesting. I just got bored because most of the characters came off as whiny or just annoying.

The thing is, when the movie should have ended, when things seemed to be resolved, they go off on a completely different tangent. The group gets captured and taken into a random building for a hunt. It's basically an auction for the rich people so they can buy strangers to kill. In the arena, the group manages to survive, just barely though. The husband gets killed and the wife decides that she wants to purge now. And somehow, during all this, the resistance group that was never mentioned in the first film shows up to save them. The movie just ends soon after with no real resolve and no real sense of satisfaction. It was another letdown this summer.

I've heard “The Purge” compared to the video game “Grand Theft Auto” many times. Having never played those games, I can only assume from the descriptions that I have gotten that it is true. Had this film maybe tightened up a little and not had so many characters in such a wide space, this could have been a fairly decent film. But the paper thin plot and overpopulation just bogged it down too much for me to enjoy it.


I'm TheCinemaChick and basically...run.

No comments:

Post a Comment