Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Top 11 Best Movies of 2011


            Hello all you lovely people who use computers and cell phones, I’m TheCinemaChick!  Seeing as it’s December and the year is coming to a close, I thought to myself, “Self, why don’t you do a Top 11 list of your favorite movies?”  So, I looked at all the movies I’ve seen and narrowed it down.  Trust me, this was not an easy list to make.  It started with a list of 44 films.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I’m shooting for 45 movies total this year since I do plan to see The Adventures of Tin Tin and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

            Now, I wasn’t originally going to do a Top 11 list, but one of my favorite DJs, Kade, did one so I figured, I’m a film blogger.  I should do one too  So here we are, TheCinemaChick’s Top 11 Movies of 2011.

Number 11:
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

I know, this hasn’t been released officially yet, but I did enjoy it.  It had it’s flaws, as all movies do but I still loved it.  Because it won’t be out until Friday, I won’t be posting a review until then.  It’s crazy, it’s frantic and at times, just plain funny.  I recommend it.


Number 10:
Super 8

While I loved the first two acts of this film, the third act disappointed me, which caused it to land so low on the list.  It did a great job building suspense and tension, getting me emotionally hooked, then let me down with its, “all is well, happily ever after” ending.  It had the potential to be amazing, but it wasn’t. 


Number 9:
Limitless

I loved the concept and Bradley Cooper was freaking amazing in this.  I enjoyed the often fast paced scenes mixed with the slowed down parts to show the side effects of the drug.  However, because I’m not great with science things, it didn’t completely satisfy me.  With that aside, I still loved it and think it should be checked out.  Plus, the main character is a writer, which speaks to my heart.


Number 8:
The Conspirator

I find it sad that this movie went largely unnoticed.  The cinematography and costumes were impeccable.  The acting was flawless.  It had some big names starring in it, though Justin Long stuck out.  The only reason this movie ranks so low is because it is very slow, very meticulous and at times a little boring.  See it for the incredible acting.  Also, this is how a movie should build suspense and how to create emotional moments that suck the watcher in.  If you are interested in Lincoln murder conspiracies, see this movie.


Number 7:
The Three Musketeers

Ok, this movie did horrible at the box office.  And in all honesty, it was terrible.  However, it was so campy and cheesy that it was good.  Orlando Bloom is the saving grace, the costumes were beautiful and for once, I actually liked the 3D.  It could have a sequel, but don’t take my word for it.  The movie does leave it wide open, so it’s possible we could have another one coming out in the next few years.  Ignore Logan Lerman’s horrible acting and enjoy Orlando Bloom’s over the top acting.  I’d love to own this when it comes out.


Number 6:
The Help

Don’t shoot me for placing this one so low.  Yes, I absolutely loved it and I have read the book.  That’s what made me place this in the middle.  The book focuses mainly on Minnie and Aibileen, the help, while Skeeter isn’t the main focus.  In the film version, the story revolves around Skeeter and often times, her part of the tale didn’t seem to go anywhere or really add anything of interest.  I wanted more of Minnie and Aibileen because they were the best characters in the story.


Number 5:
Midnight in Paris

Like The Conspirator, this movie did not get the attention it deserved.  It’s the latest Woody Allen flick and it is amazing.  It deals with romance, time travel and another writer in such a brilliant way that you don’t notice the main character being transported back in time.  Owen Wilson was great and Marion Cotillard impressed me.  It’s a sweet film about a couple realizing they aren’t a good match but finding love elsewhere.


Number 4:
50/50

I loved this movie because it hit close to home.  As a person who’s undergone the same spinal surgery, I know what it’s like to deal with the pain, the friends, the family.  And because of my surgery, I did lose friend.  I actually had a boyfriend leave me shortly after I left the hospital.  The movie tugs at your heart and just paints such a beautiful picture that you can’t leave without feeling something.  This was one of the two movies I cried in.


Number 3:
The Muppets

It’s the freaking Muppets.  Enough said.


Number 2:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two

I know, this isn’t my number one movie, which may be a shock to some people.  I did love this film and I did cry when Snape died, but it was too fast paced for me.  I wanted it to be stretched out a bit longer.  Instead, it was a dizzying ride, trying to cram in everything they needed to stuff in.  The epilogue was horrible and felt way too forced.  I love the series and I am sad to see it go, but it’s now a classic.  Harry Potter will forever be The Boy Who Lived.


Number 1:
Drive

Yes, this quiet movie where Ryan Gosling barely speaks is my top movie this year.  If you want to know the definition of a good movie, watch this.  It’s almost like a minimalist film because there’s very little music, almost no sound effects.  It’s intense, it’s graphic and holy shit, it’s AMAZING.  Seriously, when it comes out, go out and see it.  I can’t even begin to describe how much I loved this movie.  The soundtrack is also amazing, so check that out too.  Oh, and it’s a novella.  Read it and see it, then hope there is no sequel because believe it or not, there will be another book written in the Drive series.  Please…let it be as good as the first one.



So there you have it, those are my top 11 favorite movies of the year.  I am planning on making a top 11 worst movies soon.  I don’t have anything on my schedule for the time being.  It’s the holidays and I’ll be babysitting a lot soon.  If I make it to a movie, I’ll be lucky.  Fear not, gentle reader for I will see Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  And…if I feel like it, I’ll do a list of movies I really look forward to for 2012.  We’ll see how things go.

I’m TheCinemaChick and I say happy holidays because Christmas isn’t the only winter holiday.

On behalf of my movie watching crew, I wish you a happy and safe holiday.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to see Sherlock Holmes tomorrow. I loved Super 8 and Limitless. Those are two of my favorite all time movies now. I still haven't seen The Muppets :(, but I will. I've been wanting to see 50/50, and you've convinced me to watch Drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. best movies reviews

    ReplyDelete