Friday, June 3, 2011

Mutants are the future!

Hello everyone, I'm TheCinemaChick and today I have the honor of reviewing X-Men: First Class.  As usual, I can't go into the plot because it was released today, but I will give you my honest opinions on it.

First off, I am a comic book snob.  I know the history of the X-Men better than almost all my friends.  I'm a hardcore Marvel girl, not to be confused with Ms. Marvel, who is one of the early characters in the comics.  I will try to restrain myself from going off on a tangent about why the movie wasn't as good as it could have been.

Ok, I did enjoy the movie.  Then again, I love almost anything X-Men related, with the exception of X3.  I might do that on my next Bad Movie Bonanza, it was that horrible to me.  In First Class, we are introduced to some unfamiliar faces, such as Angel, Banshee and even Havok.  Banshee was in the original animated series and in the second X-Men movie, there was a little girl named Siren who had the same powers.  She is actually Banshee's future daughter.  Angel is completely new to me.  I did not know she existed until I researched her.  She has dragonfly wings which allow her to fly and can projectile vomit acid.  Sounds gross, but it's not as bad in the film.  Havok, AKA Alex Summers (as in Scott Summers AKA Cyclop's little brother) has the power to release energy in destructive blasts.  We also have Beast, Mystique, Professor X and Magneto

One aspect I liked was that we learned more about Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr.  I think they have interesting back stories, so the movie did a good job showing us how each man came to be who he is.  On the flip side, there are things I did not agree with at all.

I was also thrilled to see Sebastian Shaw from the Hellfire Club.  I like that Marvel is branching out from focusing mostly on Wolverine or Rogue.  I'll admit, if they did origin stories for more characters, I'd go see them.

I recommend X-Men: First Class to everyone, especially to those who are comic book geeks like me.  You'll love the Easter eggs hidden throughout the movie.

**SPOILER ALERT**
Two extremely famous characters make cameos in the movie!  One is obvious, one isn't.  Trust me, you'll know it when you see it.
Also, keep an eye out for a young Storm.
**zips lips**

Ok, ok, I'll admit.  I'm an X-Men fangirl.  I was super excited about this, but I did leave with mild disappointment.  The entire movie dragged a little too much for me and you don't really learn anything about the minor characters.  You won't hear anything about Angel's history or Sebastian Shaw.  Even with all the new mutants, its still all about Charles Xavier and Magneto.

So what does TheCinemaChick think?
Go forth and view.  It's enjoyable no matter what.  Not to mention, it has a lot going on.  I'd pay full price to see it, but I chose a matinée thinking I could avoid all the teenagers.  Fry informed me school is out for the year so we're not going to have our quiet theater anymore.
*sigh*
Though, that is the first time I've ever seen an entire theatre cheer for a F bomb.

Now that you've read this, go out and see it.  Go now.  Pick up your keys and leave.  No?  Fine, see it on your own time them.

TheCinemaChick prediction: I'm going to say this will make at least $50 million opening weekend.

Well, I'm TheCinemaChick and I'm wondering what's next on my list.  Have a pleasant theater experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment