Sunday, July 10, 2011

Back to Basics - The Harry Potter Series

Hello (again) and welcome to my Back to Basics series.  I'm TheCinemaChick, the one girl who's at every movie out there, then reports on them so you know what sucks out there.

...that seemed a little cheesy to me.

In light of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movie, I've decided to take a look at the series as a whole.  I will not go over the plot of each one because that would take hours, plus each one would need commentary and, I'd need Fry with me for that.

Time for a quick history lesson about TheCinemaChick and Fry!
We've known each other for a decade.  She introduced me to the Harry Potter movies, but I'd read the books.  I had actually read them back when I was in 8th or 9th grade, when a friend told me to read the description of a mandrake.  A few weeks later, my dad bought The Sorcerer's Stone for me, saying a bunch of people had been talking about and since I'm the literary person in my family, it was my job to read the book.  Needless to say, I fell in love with the novel and proceeded to read the series.
I've mentioned this before, but I do have some knowledge of films because I have taken courses on movies and adaptations, so those are my specialty.  I was hesitant to see the Harry Potter films because so many book to film projects go wrong.  I was appalled by Queen of the Damned, which is just sad since I loved the novel so much.  When Fry turned 16, she wanted to see the first Harry Potter movie for her birthday, so I relented and saw it.  Because it turned out to be a fairly faithful adaptation, I chose to see every movie in the series.

I do have fond memories of the series.  J.K. Rowling's novels brought Fry and I close, which created a long lasting friendship, so there's that.  We are friends for other reasons, but Harry Potter started it.  It also helped me get an A in my 10th grade English class.  I was in a sort of "special program" in high school, which is for people who had trouble learning (I'm terrible with math and science) so because of that, I was placed in a specific English class.  I had an awesome teacher who really encouraged me to read and not shy away from my literary brilliance.  She knew that I was destined to be an English major and a writer before I did.  So, thank you Mrs. Whiteside.

I am saddened to see the final movie because it is the last one, but I've also grown up with it.  I've been watching these movies since I was *age removed to protect my own age* and I know what's going to happen.  I know who dies and just so you know, I did cry when Sirius died.  I cried when Dumbledore died. I even cried when Snape died.  And NO, I am NOT spoiling the movie for anyone because if you've read the books, you know all this already.  And yes...I did cry when Dobby died in the movie.

Fry and I made it our tradition to attend every midnight showing and we did, with the exception of The Half Blood Prince because I had undergone some traumatic spine surgery and the crowd would have been bad for me.  Needless to say, I nearly got trampled at Deathly Hallows Part 1.  So, when the manager of a theater got a hold of me and asked me to write an article about their event, I jumped on it.  I told Fry about it, she joined in, then Butterfly came along.  We're our own little trio.

So while this is like the end of an era, it's also the beginning of a new fandom.  Future generations will read the books and see the movies.  I'm sad to see it go, but I'm also happy that it's going to have such a huge impact on pop culture.  And now all I'll have to look forward to is the end of Twilight...which I plan dedicating a blog to later and explaining why I dislike it.

Well, that's all I feel like saying for now.  I will post a blog for every night of the event because...well, why not?  This will either make me or break me as a "real" critic.  On behalf of my entire crew, Harry Potter fans everywhere and influential high school English teachers like Mrs. Whiteside, I heop you all enjoy Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment