Saturday, July 2, 2011

I want my two and a half hours back, Micheal Bay!

Hello everyone, I'm TheCinemaChick and I go to all the new releases so you can see if it's worth the money.  Earlier today, I, along with Fry and Butterfly, checked out Transformers: Dark of the Moon.  While my title seems like I severely hated it, I actually have mixed feelings.

Yes, it is another blockbuster, explosion packed alien fest made by Micheal Bay, but that's really all it is.  The plot is the same as the other movies "Decpticons are trying to take over Earth, we need Sam Witwicky and the Autobots to save us all!"  So of course, there's one strike.
Second, it didn't do anything for me.  I went in to this incredibly excited, despite the fact that Revenge of the Fallen was so horrible.  I found it hard to believe and of course the explicit shot of the new love interest's ass didn't persuade me to enjoy it anymore.  There are also plot holes everywhere and almost nothing is explained.  Like, why did no one mention the Sentinel Prime before?  Did the Transformer's have a collective memory loss?
Third, congratulations, Micheal Bay, you managed to find a worse actress than Megan Fox.  Rose Huntington-Whiteley is supposed to play the British Carly, but she can't keep an accent.  She switches between English and her native Australian constantly and we're not supposed to notice.  Plus, no one has lips like that unless they are fake.  She has so much in common with Megan Fox that I'm not surprised she was the replacement.  Also, way to go Megan Fox, you managed to do some major damage to your career by bad mouthing the director.
Fourth, what the hell?  I understand that Skids and Mudflap NEEDED to be removed because many people saw them as a negative racial stereotype, but did we have to add in a ton of other Transformers?  There are countless new Decepticons, which include a giant worm-snake thing and a freaking bird!  A FREAKING BIRD!  Maybe I missed it, but I never caught their names, so I have no clue who they are.  There are also three new Autobots and I don't know who they are.  One is some red thing with swords on his arms, who reminded me of Scizor from Pokemon.  There was also a green Irish (Fry swears he's Scottish) and a red British Autobot.  There's also Albert Einstein-bot and his mini-me.

Now, despite all that I just said, I enjoyed the movie.  I'm not a die hard Transformers fan.  I'm just a fair weather fan.  I didn't care for the first film because many parts of it were dark and I had trouble seeing a lot of it.  The second one I liked better because visually, it was brighter making it easier for me.  This was was also bright enough that I didn't miss much action.
I also have to point out the subtle humor of how the movie dealt with the departure of Mikaela.  They don't elaborate on it, merely saying that she dumped Sam.  However, this doesn't explain why Sam has her dog and Wheelie, the mini Decepticon turned Autobot.  They even say at one point that Mikaela had made some cruel, hurtful things which is no doubt a jab at Megan Fox for her harsh words about Micheal Bay last year.
Good job on that.
 While I don't want to see it again and I have no desire to watch it in 3D, I'd still say swing a matinee.  If you've seen the first two Transformers movies, you'll go see this one.

It is the Fourth of July weekend, so be safe and be careful.  Theaters will be crowded and families will enjoy firework displays.

On behalf of my lovely crew who sticks with me through every zany idea (Kit Kat, Fry, Butterfly, Just Joe and Kitsy), I'm TheCinemaChick and I wish you all a very happy Independence Day, as well as a pleasant movie theater experience.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Mom.

1 comment:

  1. I kinda agree. Though I did really enjoy alot of it, it was really long and with so much action, I wasn't as engaged with the story as I was with the first two and found myself almost bored halfway through.

    ReplyDelete