Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hitting my Sweet 60th review...with a bad movie.

            Hey everyone, call me TheCinemaChick!  Welcome to my 60th blog about films!  I review the new releases in theaters so you know what’s good out there.  Believe it or not, I’d written these reviews days ago, but they have somehow disappeared from my hard drive, so here we go with round two!

            Dream House is a fairly new movie, about two weeks old at this point and it’s being sold as a thriller.  I have some good news about this movie and some bad news.  The bad news is, it’s terrible and boring.  The good news…there is a house involved.  I’m glad it at least had that since some horror movies claim they have something then it’s never even mentioned.

            As I said before, they’re calling this a thriller but it’s not.  I personally found it long, overdrawn and rather confusing.  It stars Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz.  This is the project that brought them together, leading to their marriage.  While I’m glad for them…this movie made you fall in love with each other?  Again, I’m not meaning to insult their relationship, but they both refused to advertise this movie.  Granted, there was a disagreement with production that caused some friction, I still think it’s sad when your lead actors will not promote their own work.

            The main plot is a man (Craig) leads a perfect life, only to realize it’s all a lie.  The family he adores is actually dead and his house is in shambles.  There’s a tiny little side plot involving his neighbor and her ex husband fighting over their daughter.  As if that’s not enough, the movie tries to blur the lines of fantasy and reality so one moment, we’re in his imagination, then suddenly we’re back in the real world.  It get so confusing that I lost interest altogether. 
           
            The sad thing is, if you’ve seen the trailer, you’ve seen all the exciting parts of the movie.  I wanted to like the movie but it was just so boring.  Craig is flat and barely speaks, Weisz always sounds like she’s about to break into tears and the children don’t even play a huge part.  So many of the things that are supposed to be huge players are so unimportant, I forgot they were there.

            And the ending was pathetic.  Craig has accepted that his family is dead, but his neighbor’s ex husband was the man who killed his family.  It took two hours to build up to that?  It was all done by a man we’ve seen twice before?  While it is an unexpected twist, it’s done in a manner that makes little sense to the overall film. 

            It’s so bad that I don’t want to talk about it anymore.  It was a waste of my time and money for a complete letdown.  At least Real Steel was mildly better.

            I’m TheCinemaChick and I’m moving on to something that was an improvement over a boring movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment