Saturday, October 1, 2011

There's a 50% chance you'll love this.

Hello all you people who may or may not be staring at a computer screen!  I say that because someone might be reading this to another person.  You never know and TheCinemaChick is an equal opportunity critic.

That sounded inappropriate.

Well, I’m here to talk about a lovely little dark comedy called 50/50.  It stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen.  I haven’t seen anything Levitt has been in recently and I don’t really like Rogen, but this movie was more than worth the money. 

As you’ve seen in the previews, it’s about Adam (Levitt), a young man who has cancer and how his life is turned upside down after hearing the diagnosis.  He has his best friend Kyle (Rogen) by his side through the ordeal as well as a girlfriend who leaves the picture shortly after the diagnosis because it turns out she’s been cheating on Adam.  We also get Anna Kendrick as the psychiatrist.  Well, she’s an intern and not fully licensed so she’s not exactly good at what she does.  Anjelica Huston is also in this film, as Adam’s overbearing and at times, smothering mother.  She’s not in the movie much at all but when she’s onscreen, she steals the spotlight.

The movie does seem like it might come off as depressing because it’s about a guy who has cancer but it’s actually a very lighthearted film.  There are moments where it gets dark, like when Adam begins to question his own mortality or when you watch his mother try to juggle caring for an ailing son and a husband with Alzheimer’s.  It’s beautiful but sad in its own way.

What I loved about the film is that it’s a realistic slice of life from what could be a typical family.  They’re just trying to keep it together while the world is crumbling around them.  For a while, the movie seemed to be slow but I suppose that adds to the awkward feeling.  I mean, how do you react to someone admitting they have cancer?  Should you be sympathetic or promise false hope?  Is there an appropriate way to respond to that?  Granted, a lot of things happen during the first half that turn out to be crucial to the story later.

The second half is a gut wrenching, heart breaking emotional roller coaster.  Adam is still wondering if he’ll die or not while he believes Kyle is using him to score women.  Adam leaves therapy thinking it’s not helping and still has to deal with his mother.

I don’t want to tell you what happens towards the end because it was so incredible, I cried.  It’s intense, it’s emotional and you are swept into the moment.  There were several other people who were sniffling in the theater, so I don’t feel as bad about shedding a few tears.  And the ending was left slightly open but you leave knowing Adam has a bright future ahead of himself.

I have to go over my favorite scene.  Adam and Kyle have had a fight while Kyle is drunk.  Adam takes him home to sleep if off and while in the bathroom washing his hands, he spots a book.  It turns out Kyle has been reading a book about how to help your friend through cancer.  Adam flips through the pages, smiling as he sees notes and certain things underlined.  So now, Kyle is no longer the insensitive jerk, he has substance and you end up liking him.

50/50 was a beautiful film.  It’s a shame not many people have heard of it see it as purely and indie film.  I guess in a way it is an indie film, but it could be a real contender when award season comes around.  Rogen was flawless, Levitt brings you to tears with his performance and Huston was amazing.

In fact, while I was at the theater this morning buying some passes (see previous blog about that) I got to talking about this movie with the manager on duty.  He said he wasn’t sure if he wanted to see it or not, so I persuaded him to watch when his shift was over.  I love it when someone takes my advice.

Well, that’s all I have to say about this film.  It’s incredible, it’s lovely and it’s emotional.  I’d recommend it if you think can watch it.  It’s not for everyone because it does have strong language running throughout the movie, there are a few sexual situations and innuendos thrown around and the two main characters smoke pot a few times.  If you can look past that, you’ll enjoy this dramatic, comical, bromantical movie.

Kyle reminded me a lot of Butterfly because we’ve been through a similar thing.  I was in the hospital for a pretty massive surgery and Butterfly was there every night.  Well, he had to drive my mom up there to see me but the fact that he did that was enough to let me know that he cared.  However…he was a little too interested in my morphine drip.  Good things those lock after a single dose.  Otherwise, I would have had way too much in my system.  He stuck with me through the surgery, the rehab and the complications that came up because of all this.

All the single ladies…Jack is available.

I’m TheCinemaChick and I have a bromantic relationship with Butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment