Monday, October 17, 2011

TheCinemaChick saves money

Hello everyone out there, call me TheCinemaChick!  I review movies and let everyone know what’s good out there and what’s not.  Well, this week hasn’t been a great week for movies, plus I’m low on cash so…no review.  If you’d like to take a moment to lament the lack of my snarky comments, go ahead.  I’ll wait.

Have a tissue.

In lieu of a review, I’m going to do something a bit different.  It’s something that’s been on my mind but it’s a topic near and dear to my cinema obsessed heart. 

Today, I’m going to give away my tips and tricks on how to save money at the movies.

I know it seems like I always spend a lot of money on movies and I do, but I have things to help me save money when I go out.  Keep in mind, not all of these ideas are available in all areas, so if your theater does not offer it, don’t blame me.  I warned you up front.

  1. Use Coupons
Today, several theaters have email coupon deals.  If you sign up, you can get great deals sent to your computer.  All you have to do is print them out and take them out to your local theater and use them.  Most of the time, they refer to snacks or they may not even be worth your money.  However, it can’t hurt to take a few seconds to check your email and see if there’s something good in there

  1. Social Media
I know what you’re thinking.  How does social media help me save money?  Believe it or not, many theaters offer deals through places like Facebook and Twitter.  If you “like” them of Facebook, they might have a meal deal or a ticket sale that they are only advertising through that site.  It’s the same thing with Twitter.  Theaters sometimes offer contests or coupons through that site.  If you’re not on either site, well it’s time to join the world and get out from under that rock.  Even my mom, MovieMamma, has a Facebook.

  1. Coupon Sites
There are hundreds (possibly thousands, I haven’t really checked into that) websites out there dedicated to nothing but coupons.  Places like Groupon and Living Social do nothing but offer daily deals for things.  The one downside is that they don’t always offer something for the movies.  A lot of them are geared towards fine dining or interesting getaways.  The deals for movies are few and far between, but when they come up, jump on them.  It’s usually something really good and worth the money.

  1. Special Events
When there are huge movies coming out, theaters tend to hold marathons.  For instance, a few months ago, I attended a week long Harry Potter movie marathon.  I know, I promised to write about each night then didn’t…sorry about that.  I ended up getting wrapped up in a cosplay thing.  Me, Fry and Butterfly wanted to dress up.  Fry was Hermione, Jack was going to be a Snatcher (he sadly twisted his ankle and was unable to attend) and I went as Bellatrix Lestrange.  I helped make their outfits and made mine.  Not only that but I crocheted a purse for Fry to use.  Yeah, I’m awesome like that. 
Back to my original point.  These marathons are a bit pricey.  The Ultimate Twilight Marathon I’m attending in November cost $30, which SEEMS like a large amount.  I broke it down in a previous blog so I won’t do it again here, but I can safely say that it’s incredibly cheap compared to what it would have cost if they were all separate.

  1. Promotional Items
Yes, you read that correctly.  Several theaters out there have special cups that you can purchase and bring in for a cheap refill.  I own two of them.  One is for a Cinemark theater and another for a Harkins theater.  I have a love/hate relationship with these cups.  I love the Harkins one because a refill cost me a dollar, but the cup is too small for my preferences.  The Cinemark one is big but costs three dollars.  Also, my Cinemark cup has a noticeable crack in it (which did not happen at my hands) and I could not get a replacement.
There may be similar items for popcorn, but I’m not a huge fan of the stuff.  I admit to liking it, but theater popcorn always has too much butter, leaving my hands disgustingly greasy.  What I do like is how there are now tiny shakers for sale at the concessions stand.  Instead of butter, you can get a powder in ranch, caramel, cheese or I think garlic flavors.  I’ve only tried the ranch but it’s a nice alternative.


Those are my top five ways to save a little cash on your next trip to the movies.  I use them when I can and I also do other things, like ask around, talk to employees about possible deals and at the concession stand, they have meal deals which do save a tiny bit of money but don’t really save you that much.

If you guys out there have any suggestions, let me know.  I may be watching movies all the time, but I like to save money too.

I’m TheCinemaChick and I like to be frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment