Monday, January 30, 2012

Layers

            Hello people who continue to read my reviews!  I’m the girl in the shadows who loves a good (and bad) movie, TheCinemaChick.  Don’t be fooled by imitations.  Well everyone, I’ve come to the end of a very productive and expensive two weeks and I’ve decided to calm down for a bit.  I mean, eight movies in fourteen days?  Even I find that a bit excessive.  February is going to be a slow month since there aren’t many movies that I want to see.  

            Here’s my plan.  I will review The Woman in Black but other than that, I am considering the month of February a hiatus.  Yes, you’re going to have to live a month without me.

            You’ll survive.

            So, this is the last review I have from my triple feature this past Friday.  I’ve already talked about A Dangerous Method and Albert Nobbs, so now it’s time for The Descendants.  While I will agree that it is a good movie, I wouldn’t go so far as saying it’ll win Best Movie at The Oscars

            A lot of people are saying young actress Shailene Woodley was snubbed for an Oscar for her performance, but I’m going to have to disagree.  While she was indeed amazing, she wasn’t exactly the most spectacular performances ever.  Even George Clooney, who is normally at the top of everyone’s list, doesn’t quite cut it.  While he is also a contender for Best Actor, I don’t see him winning it.    So yes, The Descendants was a great movie and it deserves all the praise it’s getting, but I just don’t think it’s the best thing ever.  I’m still putting all my money on The Artist.

           The Descendants was a very good movie that did something wonderful.  It told a simple story in a very complex way.  On the surface, it’s a story about a man trying to raise two young girls.  Once the movie gets going, it’s actually far more complicated.  After watching it, the quote from Shrek came to mind, the one about having layers.  This one definitely had layers.  Fortunately, they all work together and resolve at the end of the movie.  So, on top of having two daughters, his wife is dying, she had been cheating on him and was about to file for divorce.  

            Clooney plays Matt King, father of Alexandra (Woodley) and Scottie (played by Amara Miller).  On top of all his personal issues, King is trying to make a deal with a large plot of land his family owns.  I liked how this portrayed something fairly realistic.  The family is broken and dealing with something everyone has to deal with.  They deal with infidelity, death, tough decisions and coming together when they need each other most.

            Technically and artistically, there’s nothing special about this movie.  It focuses mostly on the family and it’s mission to unearth the truth and say goodbye to their mother.  I thought it was a touching movie about families, but by no means is it a family film.  There is a lot of cursing and I’m not talking mild.  There is some hardcore language used both by the adults and the younger characters.  I personally don’t like having young children using those words. 

            And if you’re expecting a nice comedy, think again.  The movie is incredibly depressing.  There are moments of genuine humor to detract from the somber mood, but by no means is it the feel good film of the year.  I have to admit, I do like that The Descendants isn’t trying to make me happy.  So many of those comedy movies out there are so terrible and try so hard to make the audience happy that it fails.  This one however, does not disguise its intentions, which in turn makes it very respectable.

            I do recommend The Descendants because it is a fine film, though its not the most uplifting thing ever.  George Clooney fans will love it as much as I did and I’m not a fan of his.  A surprising actor you wouldn’t think would be in something like this also shows up: Matthew Lillard.  I won’t say what his role is or why it’s so important to the overall plot.  Even though I don’t find this to be the best thing ever, I would see it again and bring friends along to see it as well.  It’s an experience that I think everyone should have.

            It’s not often that I get to see a film that shows a realistic family in a plausible situation.  Most of the times, families come across as perfect and has nothing wrong, but this one was willing to say “Hey, we’re dysfunctional, but we’re trying to make things work with what we have!”  

            The world isn’t perfect.  I like it when a movie doesn’t try to hide the fact that bad things happen.  Even though I didn’t find this move Oscar worthy, it’s making a big splash in the theaters.  I think its worth a look so if you’re wondering what to see this weekend, check out The Descendants.  You’ll understand why it’s the most enjoyable depression you’ll ever have.

            I’m TheCinemaChick and “I am not the girl you thought I would be.  I will never be, so get over me.  I am not the girl I’m going to be.  Nothing more to say.”

           I’ll have my Oscar predictions up tomorrow, The Woman in Black review up in Friday, then I’ll see you all in March.

            Thanks for the love and support.

1 comment:

  1. I've been iffy about this movie, but I like Matthew Lillard, and I haven't seen him in forever. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete