Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mission Impossible, but accepted

            Hey people who read reviews online, they call me TheCinemaChick!  I went on a bit of a bender last week, going to four movies in five days.  Needless to say, I’ve also been incredibly lazy and not written them.  This review may or may not be awesome, I’m rather tired today after looking after three small children.  How do they have so much energy?  Seriously, someone bottle and sell that.  It’d be more affective than a Rockstar or a Monster energy drink.  Speaking of caffeine, I could really use some…oh look, I do have some.  I love my big red mug.

            So, my second film of last week was Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.  I’ll admit, I had never seen one of those films before.  They’d just never really interested me that much.  After sitting through this one, I’ll admit, I’m hooked.  I want to see the rest.  Now, according to Butterfly, I can skip the second one because it’s not as good as one and three.  I don’t know if that’s true or not.  Opinions?

            Now, it’s the basic plot of any Mission Impossible.  Ethan Hunt (played by Tom Cruise) breaks out of a Russian prison and has to go on a wild journey to find a woman who stole some nuclear missile codes.  Now, this is only the beginning of the film.  Before the credits have even rolled.  That was enough to get me hooked in.  As if that’s not enough, let’s add Simon Pegg, Paula Patton and Jeremy Renner into the mix.  If that doesn’t get you interested in this movie, nothing will.

            Yes, it’s a hardcore action flick, full of explosions, high tech gadgets and spy stuff and I’d even called it a guy’s movie.  I don’t care.  The problem with some movies is that it has action but hits several low points that tend to lose the watcher’s attention.  While Mission Impossible did have some slow moments, they didn’t make me bored.  In the parts where it was quiet, there were some information given.  It’s crucial to the plot so I was still paying attention.  I was never bored during this movie and for me that’s incredible.  My ADD tends to make me easily distracted so if my interest is lost, it’s gone for quite a while.

            …I like kittens!

            Focus, CinemaChick.  Four reviews need to be written.

            So yes, I loved Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol.  I really don’t care for Tom Cruise.  I know he’s sort of famous for his strange actions but I tend to ignore that.  I’ve had a few insane moments in public before.  There was this one time, Terra and I were salsa dancing in the middle of campus for no reason and with no music.  Then there was another time when I participated in a protest.  Oh and then there was this one time…actually…better not mention that one.  Needless to say if you ask me, “Are the colors still so bright?” I will give you an evil look.

            While I loved the movie and would gladly see it again, I hated the ending.  Once Ethan has saved the world, the movie cuts to a finale scene which to me, felt tacked on and pointless.  The team meets at what I assume was a bar and has a friendly chat.  That’s when Ethan explains to Brandt (Renner) what happened on a previous mission where Ethan’s wife supposedly died.  This was probably bad only for me since I had no knowledge going into this.  I don’t know who Julia is or her significance to the overall story.  I also had no idea who Cobalt was, but the movie did explain that to me as it went along.  

            I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the Mission Impossible franchise or to anyone who likes action movies.  If you haven’t seen any of the movies beforehand, that’s fine because this one stands alone.  I do plan to see the first three in the near future (which I won’t review.  I don’t write about every movie I watch, such as the ones on TV.  If I did…that’s a lot of reading.).  It also renewed my faith in Tom Cruise.  The last movie I saw him in was “Knight and Day” which I thought was absolutely dreadful.  I will admit I loved him in “Tropical Thunder”.  I didn’t even know it was him until Butterfly told me it was him.

            Yes, this is short, but I am terribly behind on my reviews.  I still have The Artist, Underworld: Awakening and Red Tails to get through, as well as my annual Oscar predictions.

            Busy CinemaChick is busy.

            So there are my brief thoughts on Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.  I loved it and I think it’s worth checking out while it’s in the theaters.  The big screen makes everything a little more intense and gripping.  It’s just freaking awesome.

            I’m TheCinemaChick and I love puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment