Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Top 5 Guilty Pleasures

            Hey guys, you know me as TheCinemaChick and today is my birthday!  And to celebrate, I’ve decided to make a list of my top five guilty pleasures.  There are some films that I will never admit to liking, but secretly enjoy.  This list is probably going to make some people question my sanity or possibly my taste in film.  I assure that I am completely sound of mind albeit mildly insane.  Trust me, everyone in my family is crazy to some degree.

            So, let’s have an awesome birthday celebration and discuss the five movies I’m embarrassed to admit I love.

            5. Matilda

            I love watching this movie.  It’s so cute and lighthearted.  While I’m not a fan of Danny Devito or Rhea Perlman, I appreciate how they portrayed the characters from the novel.  I’m also a fan of Roald Dahl, so seeing a decent adaptation always makes me happy.  What I like most of all is that the story is told from Matilda’s point of view, so everything is seen from the young girl’s mind.  Seeing things from a child’s eyes changes the entire tone of the story.  Granted, I loathe the constant voice over provided by Danny Devito, I still love the movie and when it comes on, I catch it.  Though, I can’t help but wonder what ever happened to Mara Wilson.  She was adorable but hasn’t been seen much at all.

            4. Troy

            This is a horrible retelling of The Iliad.  Seriously, there’s almost nothing accurate about it and the acting is subpar.  Brad Pitt is laughable as Achilles, Orlando Bloom is pathetic as Paris and Peter O’ Toole…let’s not discuss that one.  The mythology is seriously screwed up.  I originally went to see it because I’m a nerd and I enjoy Greek mythology.  You know what the point of the story is?  “Don’t piss off the gods”.  That’s seriously it.
            I’ll admit, I do love it.  As cheesy as it is, I like the battle scenes.  The fight between Achilles and Hector is very well choreographed, though it does have flaws.  The most faithful scene is when Priam goes to Achilles to beg for the body of Hector back.  It was actually used as a study aid in my Latin class when we had a section about The Iliad.  Plus…you know…Brad Pitt looking all buff and bronzed…one of the two times I’ve found him attractive.

            3. Sugar and Spice

            Yeah…you read right.  The 2001 comedy about a pregnant cheerleader plotting to rob a bank is on my guilty pleasure list.  I’m fully aware of how bad it is and that it’s probably one of the worst movies ever, but I still love it.  To me, it’s a comedy that does have a slightly endearing charm to it.  I mean, if one of my friends were in a bad situation and needed my help to get back on her feet, I’d do what I could to help.  Granted, there’s not much I can do now but you get my point.  I like how much effort the cheerleaders put into their insane plot but how incredibly clueless they are about real life.  Plus, I have friends that can relate to each one of the girls.  I do have that one super smart friend, the rebellious one and yes…I even have the overly religious friend.
            I like Sugar and Spice because it’s good when I need a laugh or a movie that won’t require me to think.

            2. Queen of the Damned

            I actually hate this movie for the most part.  A lot of information was left out, making it impossible to follow the plot.  I’ve read the book, which is far superior to the film.  However, I do like seeing how it translated from page to celluloid.  Plus, this is another movie where the experience is better than the actual thing.  You see, I went to the theater and paid to see it, but I ended up seeing it with my friend’s mom because we’re both Anne Rice fans.  I have watched it several times since then and I have found things that I enjoy about it, but overall, it’s a failure.  The soundtrack…one of my favorite albums ever. 
            Fun fact: Jonathan Davis, lead singer of the band KoRn, has a cameo in the film.  He also sang every song in the movie, but did not appear on the album.

1.      New Moon

            Before I get a lot of trolls calling me a liar, let me make my case.  I loathe the Twilight series, make no mistake.  So, why is this movie on my guilty pleasures list?
            Hot, tanned, buff, shirtless guys who also happen to be werewolves.  
            Yeah…eye candy.  Shirtless Taylor Lautner.  Seriously, when he’s got the wig and the long hair and takes his shirt off…oh yeah.  I’ll cheer for that any day.
            Call me shallow.  That’s seriously the only reason I like New Moon..

            Those are my five guilty pleasures, so take them as you will.  I’m sure people are going to question me, knowing that I liked Sugar and Spice, but I don’t care.  Everyone has the one movie they secretly love.  Moulin Rouge is another, as is Chicago.

            Well folks, it’s after one in the morning and I’m fairly tired.  I have no intention to celebrate my birthday nor do my friends.  If you’d like to leave me a gift, please do so in the comments box.  I’d like compliments or feedback or…recommend me to your friends.  I really do enjoy being a film critic and I’d like to gain some more notoriety.  If you’d like, I’ll promote your blog as well.  I’ve done it for Kit Kat and Mumford and knowing them, I’ll do it again in the future.

            I’m TheCinemaChick and it’s my 27th birthday today.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, that's an awesome list CinemaChick. I've seen all of those too. Of course, I've mentioned I was making a list to you of my guilty pleasure movies after I read about yours. So, here's my list (in no particular order)

    5. Any of the live action Teenage Mutnant Ninja Turtles movies
    4. Moulin Rogue
    3. Anastasia
    2. Super Mario Brothers
    1. The Secret of Nimh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, now I have the "Guilty Pleasures" song stuck in my head. Curse you Nostalgia Critic, Nostalgia Chick and Brentalfloss for that insanely catchy tune!

    ReplyDelete